Off Topic Fishing Playa del carmen

Crummybun

Hey All,. Traveling with family for sisters wedding in April, if the world holds together. We're heading to Mexico as the title indicates. I don't have official #'s on who wants to go fishing yet but looks like 5- 8 people is most likely. There are lots of websites with lots of charter advertisements. Most have a good amount of reviews that I can refer to, and I will. Wondering if any of you have a really good charter that you have used and would recommend. Will be bringing children 9 and 12 with. So bathroom will be a must. Experience will be as important as the catch. Fire away if you have some ammo. Thanks All.

P.S. in Winnipeg and very jealous of all the perch action that I'm missing. Back Saturday but the wind looks terrible all next week....☹

Crummybun:
No experience on the charter front but plenty on the Winnipeg front - Sorry about your luck 😉 . Hopefully your luck is much better on the salt water expedition.🐟🎣

@Reel-ist getting a peak preview of the winter. Lots of white stuff and chilly...

Should be back enjoying the sweater weather in about 3 hours.👍

Attachments

• 20211113_064201.jpg
    20211113_064201.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 45
@Crummybun , I took a charter out of Puerto Moreales when I was down there a few years ago...

Thanks @stomp, looked like a good trip even without too many fish. Hopefully April is decent fishing weather. Start of hurricane season...? Lol

@Reel-ist, glad to be home. I only met the cold and not the blood suckers.

I fished the famous reef off Cozumel Mexico it was good bottom fishing

Last edited:
Good self-guided fishing can be had south of Tulum (flats and surf fishing). You will need a rental car. I parked at these coordinates 20.00838515912548, -87.48749552493372. From there you can head west for flats fishing or east for good surf fishing off the beach. Good luck.

I was looking at the fly fishing charters that operate in the flats. Would be a great solo trip for sure. Too bad I can't take the yak along.

Good self-guided fishing can be had south of Tulum (flats and surf fishing). You will need a rental car. I parked at these coordinates 20.00838515912548, -87.48749552493372. From there you can head west for flats fishing or east for good surf fishing off the beach. Good luck.
My nephew had to pay a bribe to cops in this area after they targeted him and his friends in a rental car. So, be prepared if renting a car.

That was the first thing the travel said to me when I suggested renting a car... Must be a common experience.

sounds like your flying into cancun and you want to a rent a car,

Last edited:
sounds like your flying into cancun and you want to a rent a car, you can prebook a car rental for daily weekly rate..and its with your credit card, make sure your card covers liability insurance, thats a must, take that insurance waiver document with you when you make the rental aggreement, I have rented many of cars, I dealt with one crash, and my credit card company paid for the damage, keep all your paper work, for getting around use the audio GPS with street mapping app on your phone for direction and arrival
I been through many of miles with rental cars problem free, including searched colombian national police checkpoints in colombia for drugs/guns,
Ya there was one traffic cop once that had the nerve and wanted money and I said no, and drove away..I suggest your first time with Avis but I have rented with others including private car rentals as well
dont; get stressed over renting a car,
Yeah, but @mick, you've been down there so much you know how to blend in and don't look like a gringo

well not lately, but i guess I am getting better at blending in..the locals here are talking all spanish to me...

So, We've been in Playa del carmen for 4 days so far and it's been good. Staying at The Fives hotel, weather has been amazing, drinks are good and the company(family) can't be beat.

Finally booked our first trip to the deep water. It must be one of @Three Bouys brothers because we're heading out on a 35' wellcraft with 2x 350hp Yamaha motors and I hear the sound system isn't too shabby. 😜

Hopefully the fishing is half as nice as the boat and @King Joe won't be the only one catching Marlin down south this spring!

With some luck hopefully I'll be posting some pics Tuesday if I can lift my arms after all the reeling I will be doing.....Ben

Back