Off Topic Fishing lodge recommendations

Driftrunner

Hi everyone I thought i would see if anyone had lodge recommendations for a guys fishing trip this year.
We are looking to go the last week of May first couple weeks of June time frame for a week.
Not looking for a all inclusive resort just housekeeping options we will do our own meals to try and keep the price down.
Any where within a 8 hour drive or close to that from London is within range.
I have been looking at horseshoe island camp if anyone has input on that one.

Thanks in advance Driftrunner

Hey,

Our family loves Horseshoe Island and are repeat customers. Definitely a no frills destination with no hydro; the cabins have propane lights, wood stoves, and hot water. Most of the cooking utensils and pans that you will need are there, but each cabin has something a bit different. We generally leave stuff behind each year and then request the same cabin the next year. Fishing can be very good but like any lake, it takes some time to find the spots but Ian is pretty helpful up there. It is about a 15 minute boat ride to get from the parking lot to the camp and they have a pontoon boat that will haul your gear over. We rent a boat and the boats are in pretty good shape and have electric start yamaha motors on them, plus aerated livewells. Make sure that you grab a pizza from Dog Star in town to take in with you. It might come out of a sketchy sort of building but damn it is good!

Redpine lodge on Ivanhoe lake , Foleyet area

Campground , various size cabins , and motel rooms .....restaurant, gas , and small store
All on site .

Lots of fishing options , with outpost cabins also
Walk - in freezer available , Gary is very knowledgeable and helpful

Has boats available for back lake excursions.
....he'd even put you on good spec. Trout fishing if you wished

I WENT to Horseshoe island camp, 25 years ago ,in August..... fishing was mediocre back then, but takes time to learn area and techniques.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
Amarok thanks for the first hand info on horseshoe island
I would highly recommend Timber Wolf Lodge. I know you ask for a range of 8 hr drive, but for 11 hrs the fishing is absolutely the BEST!!! It’s a fly in trip from out of Hornepayne. I spent 2 years there working around the lodge and clean fish. First year I spent 7 weeks there and cleaned approx 1500+ fish just to go home. Second year in 8 weeks I cleaned well over 2000 + fish just to go home. It’s an all inclusive deal (American Plan)
I had @stomp up there and he can vouch on the service and accommodations.
I didn’t go this year due to COVID and commitments on the farm. 90% of the guests are from the States.
The owners are local from Thamesford.

just a reminder
June ...8 hours north is black fly & bug season..some camps offer discounts for the month of June..go prepared..
the ol saying...when the bugs are biting the fish are biting..lol
May is the month
the ontario walleye opener next victoria long weekend May 15th

14++ hours north week 3 & 4 May way up in WMU 19 & down in 21B start on pickeral pike brook trout in the rivers...take quads and a boat..and then start fishin the remote lakes..
9-10 hours north 2nd week of May ice is out fishin trout..up in gods country remote lakes in algoma before the long weekend..quads and a boat..catch your own minnows in the culverts with traps..

way up in the north theres nothin better then headin way back in the middle of no where and you don't hear nothin but nature..

French river !! Wosley lodge or rainbow camp... 4 fish musky days in June are common ...lots of nice pike around amd some big pickerel and bonus slab crappie if you know what your doing.

just a reminder
June ...8 hours north is black fly & bug season..some camps offer discounts for the month of June..go prepared..
the ol saying...when the bugs are biting the fish are biting..lol
May is the month
the ontario walleye opener next victoria long weekend May 15th

14++ hours north week 3 & 4 May way up in WMU 19 & down in 21B start on pickeral pike brook trout in the rivers...take quads and a boat..and then start fishin the remote lakes..
9-10 hours north 2nd week of May ice is out fishin trout..up in gods country remote lakes in algoma before the long weekend..quads and a boat..catch your own minnows in the culverts with traps..

way up in the north theres nothin better then headin way back in the middle of no where and you don't hear nothin but nature..
Pretty sure the victoria day holiday is may 24 in 2021

My birthday May 18th, always falls on or before the holiday weekend 😃
I want me some northern walleye lol

I believe walleye in northern ontario opens 3rd saturday in May ....which would be 15 th in 2021

The long weekend is 22-24

I've been going to Cochrane spring fishing since 2003 allot of years the ice is just coming off around opener .....typically the last week of May would be best week in my mind..... water is warming up, so good fishing, cool enough at night to keep bugs down for sitting around fire

Etc....

May 15th is correct

Last edited:
@mick google and my iPhone Calendar is saying Victoria Day is Monday May 24th.
where is that calendar from that you are using?

ya your right derkd... regardless Ontario walleye opener 3rd sat in May the 15th..
I am up there for week 3 & 4..

ya your right derkd... regardless Ontario walleye opener 3rd sat in May the 15th..
I am up there for week 3 & 4..
Right on,
I really need to do a trip like that

my uncles always used to go up in May
But my mom wouldn’t take me up then because of the bugs!
And I haven’t gone myself yet

hey @stomp thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot...lol..

absolutely...I usually fly out right around now.. the 18th..ya its high season for good fishin.. and I would be fishin offshore Puerto lopez ecuador stayin there for a month and then back up to Colombia till spring..

south & central america air travel with copa & avianca & Latam is/was available but some what complicated at the moment...ya automatic covid test negative result prior to your depaturture and screened through customs arrival..ya I am hearing 14 day quarantine Ecuador..Ok out on the boat fishing lol...ya past getting in & out of quayquil ecuador customs was not a walk in the park..
i been chattin with friends down south.. I am not even at the point of careful consideration to travel..lol

ya i am 8 weeks post op TKR recovery and its a been a slooow process..ya I need my sea legs working good too..

I have also been to horseshoe island camp a few times. The walleye fishing is fairly decent even if your new you will catch them. If your going to the chutes beware of rocks. I lost my bottom end on a shoal that the marker had come off of. The scenery is awesome. Cottages are rustic but very functional and clean. We caught lots right out front of the main office by the little island. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Right on,
I really need to do a trip like that

my uncles always used to go up in May
But my mom wouldn’t take me up then because of the bugs!
And I haven’t gone myself yet
I'm going starting the may long weekend and go for 2 weeks .

Camp on Crownland .... hoping to fish back lakes with kayak the first week , then have a group of 5 coming the second week

Not sure I have any bear hunters coming , so dont think I'll have to do any baiting the first week , so hopefully more time for exploring back lakes

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks