Fishing day after thunderstorms

one.last.cast

Was going to go salmon fishing in Grimsby this Saturday but will reschedule for Sunday due to the heavy thunderstorm in the forecast. What has been your experience the day after a heavy thunderstorm? I have read that the fishing will be poor due to the Barometric pressure change after a storm but with the lake being so big and deep, should it effect the fishing that much?

I can't really speak to what it'll do out in the lake, but I can tell you that when I'm fishin off the pier in Pt Bruce, the fishing has seemed to be better just before an approaching cold front arrives, (day before and morning of when its supposed to cross in the afternoon) whether it rains/storms or not. I've fished in the rain as well and been laughed at, but those who were laughing stopped laughing when I pulled my basket out of the water and showed them what I had caught while they were sitting in their cars waiting out the rain. (If its just rain, I have rain gear, but I won't sit out there and fish in a thunderstorm. I'm maybe a bit crazy, but I'm not stupid. ) but depending on how hot it is, or how hot and humid it stays after the front passes, especially if it fired up storms and a couple days of wind, the fishing has been terrible. ie, June 19 I did really well, got that limit I showed. Went back on the Monday (June 22) and brought home 20 more. Then that cold front went through, brought storms that day and wind for a couple days after it, and the fishing from the pier hasn't been the same since, in fact, since that happened, it's been as bad or worse than last year.

Thanks for the reply Trevor. You are right about fishing in the rain. My best bass fishing trip was during the rain at Pushlinch in Cambridge. The fishing was on fire when it started to rain. Slowed down when the rain stopped and pick up when the rain came back.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks