Fishing boats with large cockpit area

sterlingz

Hi all,

As I consider a rapidly approaching boat purchase, I'm looking at various models and could use some input.

My preference is aluminum but I'm not opposed to fiberglass. What I'm specifically looking for is a trolling boat with a wide-open cockpit / dance floor. The Kingfisher Falcon line seems perfect, with the console near the bow, which opens up the cockpit space. Standard packages have no rear benching either.

I envision a boat where I have all the space in the world for managing many lines in a ~18ft package, and space to sleep in the boat with a full camper top.

Other "west coast" style boats like this include Stanleys, Crestliner Raptor, Smokercraft Phantom/Osprey, etc.

Wondering if you guys know of other boats I should consider?

Two others I can think of for consideration are the Princecraft Kapture 187 and Lund Sport Angler 1800. However I know of none that provides in an 18 ft. boat what Smoker craft's Phantom 18 X2 does in room or build. With a 98" beam and interior depth of 33" along with .160 bottom gauge and sides of .125 gauge welded aluminum nobody comes close.

Hewescraft with extended transom. Wide and deep with nothing to get in the way at the stern. Pricey though. Look on kijji BC.

Trophy Pro has an 18' model the 1802 walk around. They are an 18' that fishes like a 20++(I have the 22 and it fishes like a 25). Huge cockpit , cuddy big enough to overnight in, and most with a porta-potty. Big flared bow, deep hulls.

I have a princecraft Pro 17’6” and while it’s a great Northern boat it pounds like a bastard in any sort of chop. Wish it was heavier. If your going for a Great Lakes boat I’d go either bigger or fibreglass for better travel. I love my boat but it really does pound the sh|# out of my back in any sort of chop.

I have a princecraft Pro 17’6” and while it’s a great Northern boat it pounds like a bastard in any sort of chop. Wish it was heavier. If your going for a Great Lakes boat I’d go either bigger or fibreglass for better travel. I love my boat but it really does pound the sh|# out of my back in any sort of chop.
I suggest a Smooth Moves Ultra suspension seat mount I love mine. I haven't had a sore back since I put one in my boat several years ago and it's a heck of lot cheaper than buying a new boat. When it gets rough it will make you love your boat again, trust me. :love::happy:

I have the smokercraft 18.5 99 inches wide, which is quite a bit wider than the kingfisher. Full stand up top with side and back curtain. It has wash down hose and a sink and filet board built on at the back. Everything works great and I realy like fishing out of it.

I got the 172 , no problems with even 4 foot waves
But I'm not doing 40 miles an hour in that
All I do is slow and steady keeping the nose up 😏

Hi all,

As I consider a rapidly approaching boat purchase, I'm looking at various models and could use some input.

My preference is aluminum but I'm not opposed to fiberglass. What I'm specifically looking for is a trolling boat with a wide-open cockpit / dance floor. The Kingfisher Falcon line seems perfect, with the console near the bow, which opens up the cockpit space. Standard packages have no rear benching either.

I envision a boat where I have all the space in the world for managing many lines in a ~18ft package, and space to sleep in the boat with a full camper top.

Other "west coast" style boats like this include Stanleys, Crestliner Raptor, Smokercraft Phantom/Osprey, etc.

Hi all,

I too have been looking at a new boat same style as you are looking for . The cove in mactier has a 18.5 Hewescraft they have in stock right now which is very similar to a kingfisher . There are a few kingfishers around still and only one Stanley mink I have seen I have looked at all the big brands and it's all your preference , Do you want fancy or simple and straight to the point . I personally want an aluminum boat without any carpet or plastic .

I went through this 2 years ago. Went to bc boat show to see all the boats and listen to almost everyone cut up each other boats. This is why I went to find all of the flaws in each manufactures boat. I then narrowed it down to the things I wanted I ended up buying a Hewes craft I researched every dealer they hard to find the best price. The boat I bought is a 22 ft ocean pro with the extended transom Yamahas on it This boat has been better than I expected. i am in the Niagara area closer to Hamilton if you would like to see it or if you want more info . I work with the owner of the marina he was awesome.

I have a 22 Ocean Pro. I wouldn’t trade it for anything

Attachments

• BE6368FB-BA8E-4C3C-8840-582FED532746.jpeg
    BE6368FB-BA8E-4C3C-8840-582FED532746.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 34E09660-DFE9-4374-A03E-FA4ED2395E6E.jpeg
    34E09660-DFE9-4374-A03E-FA4ED2395E6E.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 116
  • CAA602AC-317E-4EA0-AD67-904C1EBB4673.png
    CAA602AC-317E-4EA0-AD67-904C1EBB4673.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
I suggest a Smooth Moves Ultra suspension seat mount I love mine. I haven't had a sore back since I put one in my boat several years ago and it's a heck of lot cheaper than buying a new boat. When it gets rough it will make you love your boat again, trust me. :love::happy:

Best thing i ever bought for fishing

100" wide 18'6, 2008 Ranger Angler. Try to avoid rails or tracks it frees up 4 ft of paying room on port & starboard sides, much easier netting fish not reaching over and around shit.
1598788894119.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks