Off Topic Fishing Bay of Quinte

Richardscott999

First time ever fishing this area looking for some guidance from the vets. Planning on a trip down to BOQ mid October for a walleye fish. I know this area gets hot in the fall but not sure about when. Also approx starting point be it Trenton area or near Desoronto. Does our normal Erie methods work, lead, dipsie, Riggers. Is it a body bait, spoon or harness bite. In short any guidance is greatly welcome. I do know there is a fishing group for the area but have heard unlike 68 these guys can be tight lipped with the help.

TIA Rick

The so called "Trophy" time is from Nov-Dec with the end of November being typically the best! Most of the fishing is done in the "Reach" from Picton to the Gap (area where they enter from Lake Ontario).
As far as fishing goes....Most fish are taken off of inline boards and inline weights and deep divers. The water is typically Gin clear and they are spooky. Water depths in the reach are 80+ BUT I and many others only target the top 30' even if I am seeing a graph loaded below that!!! Quinte as a 4 eye limit and only one fish can be over 24 3/4"...The problem being that very few fish are smaller than that (in 6yrs I can count on one hand how many I have caught under the 24.75" slot!!! So here lays the problem...any walleye you catch below the 30' depth they are going to experience sever Baratrauma and it gets worse the deeper you go, so the issue is that any fish you catch deep are probably going to die! If two guys are fishing and you both catch a 8lbs fish your basically done because the odds of you catching anything smaller than the 24.75" is slim unless you want to run into Hay Bay or up towards belleville and try resident fish!

Also, this is the absolute tuffest walleye fishery I have ever fished in! Erie the last couple years, as you know you could basically catch a limit on and old sock with a hook....NOT the case on Quinte and there have been MANY days I drove the almost 8hr round trip and got skunked and once spent 3 days down there and got skunked also! Its tuff, but once you get hooked like I am its well worth it! My personal best is almost 13lbs and a good buddy 2 years ago landed one just shy of 18lbs!!! Latest I have fished is Boxing Day when most of the bay was frozen solid except the opening of the gap....loaded screens but got skunked that day too!

Ryan

thanks Ryan. Are there other species opportunities as well. Although I am moving to Rice Lake in the fall I really don’t know the BOQ area. With me is my grandson for the day who has just started and is hooked on fishing. I soooooooo want to get him hooked up on a few decent fish. He has this far caught a single bass 2 trips ago in a northern lake. He is crazy excited for fishing and I really want to keep that enthusiasm going. If we don’t catch walleye maybe some smallies to be had?

Rick

thanks Ryan. Are there other species opportunities as well. Although I am moving to Rice Lake in the fall I really don’t know the BOQ area. With me is my grandson for the day who has just started and is hooked on fishing. I soooooooo want to get him hooked up on a few decent fish. He has this far caught a single bass 2 trips ago in a northern lake. He is crazy excited for fishing and I really want to keep that enthusiasm going. If we don’t catch walleye maybe some smallies to be had?

Rick
I really only fish the Reach in the the late fall so the only real accidental catches are "Trophy" Sheepshead (I have seen some absolute monsters) and also some really nice pike! I would guess that if you go up towards Belleville you will defiantly get into both bass species, smaller walleye and Northerns.

This guy can show you the ropes if you are interested in investing in a charter for the day. He is great at sharing what works and putting you on the fish.

Back