fishfinder/gps

fishnhunt

Picked up a new boat last fall now I have to get it set up to fish.
I am looking at the Lowrance HDS 7 gen 2 or the hummingbird 898 anyone have any experience with these two units?
Any opinions appreciated.

depends on preference, they are both great units.
I personally like the hummingbird, and I have two units on my boat.
It all comes down to which you prefer to look at and the menus you prefer.
I would go to a shop and play around with them and decide which one you prefer!

hello.

i have the humminbird 385ci on a 16'alum and luv it!! no experience with lowerance. luv the bird tho. lol.

cheers
arnie0226

I agree, always best to test them out in the store first. I've used both types of units and both are excellent units. Quality in both units is pretty similar you just need to figure out which unit you prefer to operate. I do have a slight preference for the lower Lowrance units, but the HDS menus seem to be a little confusing to first-timers. However, nothing you can't get used to. Happy shopping!

Name: Jason Barnucz (Delhi, Ontario)
Thanks to my sponsors Bass Magnet Lures, Koppers Live Target Lures, Fishing World, Bills Bait and Tackle
2007, 2011 Team Ontario, Ontario BASS Federation Nation

also depends on what type of trolling motor you have, humminbird products work more efficient on Minn Kota products becuase they are both owned by same company. joselyn at angling outfitters will deffiently hook you up with a good unit being lowerance or humminbird. just got the humminbird 798ci si combo unit from joselyn and it works great!

I have the HB 898si combo and I love it. The SI features are amazing for search structure or to see what is in the water channel around you, mind you it takes a little getting used to knowing what you looking at. Max mode on the sonar can normally tell you your thermoclines which is nice to know when going for eyes and bows in the lake. As for GPS part. It works awesome. I have the navionics card for all the great lakes which shows all water depths and even shoals and weedy and rocky areas.

I personally think its the cats ass, and I suggest it to anyone looking for a high end fishing system for there boat that is affordable. I went to fishing world in Hamilton to get mine as it was regular price 200 bucks cheaper then anywhere local.

You should still test them out and see what suits you, yours needs and your budget, but for me the HB 898 is a dynamite unit and SI and Down imaging is fantastic for search ad fishing structure. Have fun making your choice playing with all the different units and happy trails on the water this year. Cheers.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks