Fish Guts Trash Vs??

Rex

We all know the basics, bring the delicious creatures home, clean them toss the remains in a bucket for the trash.

We also all know the result when we happen to do so a week before garbage day!
Within 24 hours you have a real smelly mess that gets to sit for a week waiting for the garbage man. :wtf:

Does anyone have any other creative uses for these remains? Last time I was out, I got home around 8pm from the lake any by the time cleaning was done, I had a mess to deal with and nowhere to put it. So they went in my "critter proof bin" That smell really lingers in the trash bin even after its dumped, especially when the spines puncture those bags...

I heard from one person Mink farmers will take them... Any ideas on how to keep the wife happy with both the meal and off my back re: the resulting mess?

Living in a rural area with no close neighbors, I put them a few hundred yrd's down the road, it's all bush here. Always in the same spot. Vultures & hawks are there daily, coyotes and racoons nightly. Seldom a speck left, and although I can't say for sure, seem's to help keep the vermin away from my critter's.

I made a fillet board that clamps on the boat transom or the side rail. When fishings done, the cleaning happens on the lake...except for perch which is too finicky. Eyes, bass, trout...take the sides off, dump the rest. Leave the skin on for id...I trim and do final clean at home, but the ammt of leftover is minimal.

I made a fillet board that clamps on the boat transom or the side rail. When fishings done, the cleaning happens on the lake...except for perch which is too finicky. Eyes, bass, trout...take the sides off, dump the rest. Leave the skin on for id...I trim and do final clean at home, but the ammt of leftover is minimal.

x2 and have never regretted it for a second. I have had a couple of guys yell at me though and try to tell me that it's illegal to do that...???? Nothing I can see in my reg book about it though.

Dump in corn field. Extra fertilizer and local coons love them and keeps them away from my house lol

Herefishyfishy

We all know the basics, bring the delicious creatures home, clean them toss the remains in a bucket for the trash.

We also all know the result when we happen to do so a week before garbage day!
Within 24 hours you have a real smelly mess that gets to sit for a week waiting for the garbage man. :wtf:

Does anyone have any other creative uses for these remains? Last time I was out, I got home around 8pm from the lake any by the time cleaning was done, I had a mess to deal with and nowhere to put it. So they went in my "critter proof bin" That smell really lingers in the trash bin even after its dumped, especially when the spines puncture those bags...

I heard from one person Mink farmers will take them... Any ideas on how to keep the wife happy with both the meal and off my back re: the resulting mess?

Buried fish entrails...make damn good fertilizer.....

gut, bleed and drag beside the boat as John from Hotlinefishing showed me.

thanks John , Loving those white fillets plus the planer setup i mocked off your's.

Tcat have done that one before, lol

but i find down by the local river works well, those shore fisherman must think there are some large fish in that river.

You can be fined under the regs of Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans I believe. I was told about a guy at Burwell pier that was fined for dumping guts in the water. There are Regs for disposing of fish waste, which I believe the spirit of was meant to apply to commercial guys but can be applied to sport fisherman apparently. Stuff about distance from the shore, above the water table etc.
Just remember, CO's will often ticket to inconvenience you by spending a day in court (remember it's the area that offence was committed in as well, would be a long trip back if it happend on a trip somewhere) even if the charge won't stick. Seen it happen to guys suspected of poaching bass in spring. Even if there isn't enough proof it's a pain is the butt if you have to go to court to prove your innocence. This is how they discourage you from doing what they suspected you were doing. Cleaning fish on the lake is often a behaviour of poachers. Have seen guys on the grand have their wives come pick up their fish and then continue fishing...I freeze them until garbage day too.

You can be fined under the regs of Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans I believe. I was told about a guy at Burwell pier that was fined for dumping guts in the water. There are Regs for disposing of fish waste, which I believe the spirit of was meant to apply to commercial guys but can be applied to sport fisherman apparently. Stuff about distance from the shore, above the water table etc.
Just remember, CO's will often ticket to inconvenience you by spending a day in court (remember it's the area that offence was committed in as well, would be a long trip back if it happend on a trip somewhere) even if the charge won't stick. Seen it happen to guys suspected of poaching bass in spring. Even if there isn't enough proof it's a pain is the butt if you have to go to court to prove your innocence. This is how they discourage you from doing what they suspected you were doing. Cleaning fish on the lake is often a behaviour of poachers. Have seen guys on the grand have their wives come pick up their fish and then continue fishing...I freeze them until garbage day too.

I'd love to see the reg where this is covered...??? Any clue where it says this? The federal regs only cover disposal at sea of fish waste from industrial processing.
Interestingly, I met a CO at the ramp two years ago and showed him my walleye fillets in a bag and he commented that it was a smart way to do it...

Last edited:
Found this on Walleye Message Central from February of this year:

I have heard so many differant rules on how to disposs of fish remains over the years I took the time to contact Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. The question was. What is the legal way to dispose of fish carcasses/remains in Ontario. The reply is: It would NOT be an offence to dispose of fish remains in the water as long as they are not classified as a deleterious substance (things like the remains of cormorants may be because of the contaminants accumulation). Many anglers dispose of their fish carcasses in the water. The nutrients are recycled by providing a source of food for other organisms. Discretion must be used in disposing of fish remains. However, gas bladders should be punctured to ensure the fish remains sink immediately. Secluded areas, which are not frequented by large numbers of boaters, water skiers, swimmers etc, should be selected. Remains should be disposed of far enough off shore that they don't wash up on someone's beachfront. People should be encouraged to use differant spots so they do not accumulate in one area.
So there ya go! For those that have always wondered like myself what is Legal there is our official answer.

Link: http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-417298.html

I think I will continue my current practices until I hear of a definitive reason why not to.....it is nice to clean the fish while they are still fresh and it's really nice not to have to deal with the carcasses at all once you get home. Skins, ribs, & y-bones can go to the local drive thru trash...

Last edited:
Dig a deep hole in the garden, 3/4 ft. ,good fertilizer, easy enough here as it is all sand.

The gas station in Aylmer had a sign that says if you use their garbage cans for fish guts they will the security tape to get your license number and return them to you.

Rose bushes love fish guts. I did a hole next to the rose bushes and bury them there. I also have a Green Cone that does a good job getting rid of them. I wish I had so many fish guts that I couldn't find a way to get rid of them.

I just double bagged a stink bag full of Saturday morning... thankfully today is garbage day! Freezing makes the most sense to me until garbage day. Dumping them while out fishing does not only because nothing really eats the remains in the water. Evidence being the floating dead fish you see. You would think the birds would find it but they don't.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks