First Muskie - Lake St. Clair

Joey D

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Last Sunday we tried our luck trolling for Lake St. Clair muskies out of Lighthouse Cove. We've made the trip down twice in the last couple years without ever catching a fish.

This trip I finally caught my first muskie. We just got past the buoys out of the Thames and I dropped a 6" jointed georgies lure in $9 bass pattern over the side. I only got a couple feet of line out and a fish hammered it. I was super excited - they are a ton of fun to catch. Unfortunately in all the excitement I didn't take the time to get an accurate measurement before we released it, but I quickly held it up against the 36" sticker on the boat and it was easily a 39" but for the sake of a good story, lets say my first muskie was a solid 40"er.

Definitely got me hooked and I'd love to go back and catch more. We trolled for another 4 hours and didn't catch anymore so I didn't really figure out any patterns. I'd like to learn more about what works when and why.

Looks like I will just have to take out a second mortgage to build up my muskie gear supply.

-Joe

Now there's one happy looking guy! Your hooked for life now and your right about that second mortgage for musky tackle. :D

Congrats on your first Musky. (y)

Congrats on your first! It does become addicting, we just started fishing musky last fall and now we plan on being at LSC every Thanksgiving!

Last Sunday we tried our luck trolling for Lake St. Clair muskies out of Lighthouse Cove. We've made the trip down twice in the last couple years without ever catching a fish.

This trip I finally caught my first muskie. We just got past the buoys out of the Thames and I dropped a 6" jointed georgies lure in $9 bass pattern over the side. I only got a couple feet of line out and a fish hammered it. I was super excited - they are a ton of fun to catch. Unfortunately in all the excitement I didn't take the time to get an accurate measurement before we released it, but I quickly held it up against the 36" sticker on the boat and it was easily a 39" but for the sake of a good story, lets say my first muskie was a solid 40"er.

Definitely got me hooked and I'd love to go back and catch more. We trolled for another 4 hours and didn't catch anymore so I didn't really figure out any patterns. I'd like to learn more about what works when and why.

Looks like I will just have to take out a second mortgage to build up my muskie gear supply.

-Joe

Nice work!

You should contact Blastr on this site as he has Muskimania Disease!

He knows a lot about catching them and as well, makes his own lures!

Good source of Intel!

Congrats I know the feeling just caught my first Muskie this year as well back on the 5 of sept I am definitely hooked for life can't wait to get another one but I wanna bet my 50"

Well done! Looks like a solid 40 to me ;-)

I have some excellent Muskie tackle for sale, check out my ad on the classifies..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks