First Lake O Experience

Yesterday afternoon my brother and I headed to Lake Ontario to try our luck. This was my first fishing trip to Lake O and I will definitely be back. We launched out of Bronte and headed out 6 miles and started dropping lines. We picked up a couple of steelhead on the 8 colour but no Salmon. After talking with a friend who has experience on the lake he told us to move in closer for the evening hours to have better luck targeting a decent sized Salmon.

We pulled lines and moved to within a couple of miles from shore. There were other boats fishing in the area plus numerous sail boats so we stayed as clear of the big group as we could. We started marking a good number of fish and my brother picked up a small Coho on the rigger. We continued to mark fish when all of a sudden the wire dipsy with a NK Mag Monkey Puke back 130' started to scream. I grabbed the rod and it was on. It felt like a good fish and it didn't surface like the previous bows. As I battled the fish the lead core went off my brother grabbed it but the fish got off. Looking back it probably was a good thing.

At 60' out the fish stalled and wasn't co-operating. Finally I started to make headway and when he got to within 25' we got our first glimpse and could see it was a good Chinook. This is where all hell broke loose. Once he saw the boat he got his 2nd wind. The power of these fish is amazing. It took some time but my brother finally got the net under it and into the boat. A quick weight, some picture and a successful release. It was a 25lbs King. My largest fish caught by far. I can't imagine that they catch them 35lbs plus out there. I have attached a picture below.

We trolled until almost last light and boated another steelhead and coho. What a great night on the water. We ended up going 6 for 10 and all fish were caught on spoons.

Great report Devin and Congrats!! Thats a beauty fish,,,, so tell me was your heart pounding and the hands shaking??? THAT's the real experience!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks