First ever trip to Port Burwell/ Hastings

litg8r

image.jpeg Well I answered my question and there is no doubt it was worth the run to Hastings. Trailered the boat over with my son Tuesday evening, set up in a well at Big Otter Campground. Can't say enough good things about that place from the friendly service from Debbie, to the generous bait counts at 530 am, the great fish cleaning station and the nice steep launch.
Got up at 5 yesterday and planned to follow some guys from Michigan to Hastings but they weren't there and we were anxious to get out. Out of nowhere a guy by the name of Darryl (tournament fisher?) in a 24' navy Pro Line CC asks me if I wanted to follow him and his crew to Hastings. I was all over that so we ran over in flat seas at 55 km /hr, dropped anchor and never moved. Limited mostly 10"+ -14" fish by 10:45.
Today was a different story. Flat seas but heavy fog made for a nerve wracking ride so I turned the radar on. Ran to same spot we fished yesterday but only got a few. Moved 5' deeper then 5' shallower but nothing. Pulled out my phone where I saved a screenshot of some recent info from Way She Goes who was kind enough to lend some wisdom. Ran to that area and it was game on as the wind picked up and the fog finally lifted. Finished our limits by 2pm with slightly larger fish than yesterday. We had a blast and will return this summer! Best perch quality I've ever seen.

Think that would be marshman (reel busy sport fishing) that you followed out there. Nice rig he's got there.

So you have in your possession 2 limits...
What do you mean he has two limits in possession???
Pretty sure his son was with him and he went on two seperate days? So over two days him and his son could catch and keep 100 fish each cleaned and in the freezer...
Assuming they both have a sport fishing license
Correct me if wrong
thank you

Not up much on perch limits . but
what I am reading is that he caught his limit each day . Regardless of whether he has a conservation or sport isnt that over the allowable possession .?

derkd9 is correct. granted dont know which licence. sportfishing 50 daily, 100 in possession at any time (each). for example, cant catch over 50 in one day but on that same day you can have 50 more in the freezer from previous days, per angler with appropriate licence. once those 50 are cleaned and froze, you're done. you now have 100 fish in your possession. cheers

From the regs summary:

"Catch and Possession Limits – The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day and includes fish that are not immediately released and any fish eaten or given away. The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise specified."

Then if you look at the Zone 19 section:

"Yellow Perch
Open all year
S - 50 in one day, possession limit of 100
C - 25 in one day, possession limit of 50"

So perch on lake Erie is one of those few examples where you can have more than one catch limit in possession.

Great report, glad you had fun @litg8r !!

Way to go Litg8r! nice job the fish and the report. Its a great fishery for sure, I made 4 trips last year and getting ready to make a run over there soon.

Very nice litg8r............got to love coming to new waters and doing very well!!! That's why this site is so great..........other than the dreaded keyboard C O officers!!!!

@Outcast.............this is where you apologize for being like most keyboard C O's , not knowing what they are talking about but willing to post up trash bashing a guys awesome fishing experience who was nice enough to share it with all of us including pictures. Instead like every other keyboard C O out there, they are proven wrong but instead of manning up they just disappear waiting to criticize then next guy who makes a great thread...........is it jealousy with these guys or what????????

Where is the "dislike" button?????

Last edited:
Thanks for the support CDNDuckslayer! I wrote the report for guys like you and the majority of others who appreciate giving and receiving fishing reports. I am a member of several sites in US and Canada and there's always a troll out there looking to rain on parades. Can't let that dissuade from posting because the majority of members are good people.

My advice to outcast is if by your own admission you're "not up on perch limits" then you should reserve comment on the subject until you become familiar with the applicable regulations. This would have spared you the embarrassment.

Very nice litg8r............got to love coming to new waters and doing very well!!! That's why this site is so great..........other than the dreaded keyboard C O officers!!!!

@Outcast.............this is where you apologize for being like most keyboard C O's , not knowing what they are talking about but willing to post up trash bashing a guys awesome fishing experience who was nice enough to share it with all of us including pictures. Instead like every other keyboard C O out there, they are proven wrong but instead of manning up they just disappear waiting to criticize then next guy who makes a great thread...........is it jealousy with these guys or what????????

Where is the "dislike" button?????
IRead the post!,I simply asked if it was over the limit, and wasnt trying to slam the guy for his catch , that why there is a question mark after the sentence! The only one on here causing an issues is You.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks