Fires

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
The fires continue to worsen. BC has declared a province wide state of emergency so that they will have all the tools available as the fires spread.
This is a map of current conditions of Canada and US active firesIMG_8954.png

I have friends (and my ex and some of her family) who have evacuated out of Yellowknife. I have family in several areas of BC, (Taylor, Penticton and others) that I haven't heard from, so going with the proverbial, "no news....is good news" mind set when it comes to my family out west.

This just west of the homestead near Radium. Was quiet til the winds got her going again
Not as bad as Kelowna but could change quickly. We are on evac alert right now.
Just a bad situation all over. Thoughts and prayers are with all involved.1000000655.jpg

Reports are rain is on the way but not until Thursday after Tropical Storm Hilary causes havoc down in California first and by then it may not be enough.

Trevor I see this morning that Yellowknife is nearly 100% evacuated.

Trevor I see this morning that Yellowknife is nearly 100% evacuated.
Yeah I saw on the news yesterday that Yellowknife was 95% evacuated. They said there were about 1600 people still there. Then a little later the news was saying there were "a little less than 3000 people left in the city including the essential workers and fire fighters."

But considering the fact there is only that one road in or out, and by all accounts, most people did drive out, that is an incredible accomplishment. But, there are also several reports that once the people of Yellowknife were reaching areas where there were supposed to be evac shelters for them, when they got there, they were being told "sorry we're full" and sent elsewhere. That apparently has been happening for both those who drove out and those who flew. IE, some of the people on the last planes out instead of going to Edmonton, Calgary, or Vancouver were flown as far away as Winnipeg.

They have good reason to be VERY concerned though. There are 3 fires burning in the Yellowknife area right now. One is approx 29km SE of Dettah, the other is 4km N of Prelude Lake Territorial Park, (GOOD FISHING in that lake) and the one that is the most immediate threat is the one that caused the evacuation, which began in the Rae/Edzo area a month ago and has burned its way SE towards Yellowknife and is now 15km or less from the city limit.

Reports I've seen say that while they did get some rain yesterday, it wasn't anywhere near what they were hoping for, and the winds and temps are expected to pick up again today which will start that fire moving towards the city again, but the slight reprieve in the fire's movement towards the city yesterday gave them a chance to really get a good look at what that fire is doing, and make a further plan of attack that will hopefully prevent it from reaching the city.

Back