Etec Mechanic

twodogs

Can anyone advise on a good Etec mechanic for a 75hp motor. My motor carbons up when trolling and ends up fowling plugs a couple times a year. TIA
Ron

Location?

With a 2 stroke I think the only way you're going to fix that is with a kicker.

I troll with my 115 i just give a good run afterwards done that last 2 years and have had no issues but i think proctors in simcoe is pretty good

In my opinion not much a tech can do for you as that is a common issue when trolling with big motors. As mentioned before every hour or so give a good run for a minute or so to help burn the build up on the plugs. Better option is add a kicker and keep the hours down on the main motor plus if issues with the big motor you have a way back in.
I recommend Blue Sky in New Hamburg for etec work.

Never had work done by Blue Sky, but all my parts come from them, including the two gaskets I picked up today.

I second the kicker idea. Had the same problems as you when trolling with main motor. They are not designed to idle that long. Ended up putting on a 15 hp kicker, what a difference. A lot quieter as well. Sure beats pulling spark plugs out on the lake!

Never had work done by Blue Sky, but all my parts come from them, including the two gaskets I picked up today.
Blue Sky has done my motor since new, but have never cured the plug fouling problem. I have spoke to other guys that have the same motor or the 90hp, and they claim they don't have this problem trolling. Prior to the Etec I had a 70hp Yamaha, and trolled many hours without missing a beat or having fouled plugs.

There is a guy in Paris named Derek Bell who is set up right behind the Tim Hortons on Dundas ST E and Green Line. I've lost his number for some reason but he is said to know his stuff and a good, fair mechanic. I got his number from M and A Automotive in Paris last year. I can get it tomorrow and PM you if you like. It would be worth a call to him anyway.

Attachments

• DRJ47Df.jpg
    DRJ47Df.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3
Ralph's performance
1439 Stoney Creek Rd, Caledonia, ON N3W 1R1
905 541 7075

Worked on my motor last spring. He has an irrigation pond to test run it. Was happy with his work and price.
I do agree though with the kicker feedback. Previous boat had 115 on it and added a 15 kicker for same reason

Proctor gets my vote. Jason in the shop knows his stuff.

Proctors, Simcoe. Be careful, carbon deposits in a fuel injection two stroke can cause detonation. Hot carbon deposits cause the fuel to ignite before the spark plug fires. Pinging and knocking are common signs. This was a common failure of many of the early Etec,s. (Evinrude Ficht).

I'm going to answer a question no one asked, but in the Hamilton area Dundas marine is awesome. They are (were?) primarily an Evinrude shop, but a few years back I brought my old 2 stroke Merc to them because it just wasn't running right. They just adjusted the carb sync and ignition timings, charged me for an hour and a half labour and said great engine. I was worried I'd be in for a big bill but left paying just $150, a great running engine and a satisfied customer.

Since I've gone Suzuki I can't go there anymore sadly.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks