Erie Winds

based on all the apps , what are guys thoughts on tomorrows waves?
anything out of the SW makes me a bit nervous...
anyone with lots of experience got any recommendations.
got a 17 foot princecraft , with 90 hp... so not the biggest of boats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716-005609_Windy.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-005609_Windy.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 20
So here is my prediction.……
weather network says as of friday at 5:34pm.
Sunny with 14klm/hr wind. to me = max wind around noon 14knts. Gusting up to 23knts.
Therefore we may see sustained winds in the afternoon of 23knts. this will occur when the winds build in the early afternoon.

So my plan is to be on the water early. (Light wind).
Making sure im getting closer to shore as the day progresses. Add to that a north wind you will want to be close to shore. If it does indeed hit 23kts.

I will repost tomorrow Sat at 5:30pm. After i have checked my two go to sites.

Sunday forecast I’m reading says under 10knots all day direction does complete 360

Not overthinking.i drive from 3 hours away and this is how i do it. I don't have the option of looking out the window to plan my trip.
With that in mind. Remeber that this conversation was started on a better way to plan a trip to lake Erie. For those of us that make the hike.

Looks all you have to do us make it to the middle of the lake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-211544_Windfinder.jpg
    Screenshot_20210715-211544_Windfinder.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 9
I fish both Erie and Ontario. I have developed a reliable wind prediction procedure that works for me.
Check wind strength predictions on weather network , marine forecast for lakes Ontario and or erie.
When they predict wind in klm/hr. Make that knots and its almost always correct.
So if peak wind for the day is predicted as 15klm/hr. I almost always see 15knots on water. I e been predicting/planning around wind this way for 20 years and it has proven very reliable.
Ill add that I sail the lakes to so i am quite in tune with measuring the actual wind against what was predicated.
Hope this helps.
There is one other option. Old tymer prediction. Hook boat to truck. Drive to lake if too rough go home and have a beer.
100% results EVERY time.

on my way to Nanticoke I start scanning for the windmills,, Im already almost there by the time I can tell if they are spinning too fast, but on more than one occasions they were fast enough to turn around before making the full trip.

Wish there was a way to look up real time wind speed and direction on them from home.

on my way to Nanticoke I start scanning for the windmills,, Im already almost there by the time I can tell if they are spinning too fast, but on more than one occasions they were fast enough to turn around before making the full trip.

Wish there was a way to look up real time wind speed and direction on them from home.

Attachments

• F7C3DA16-F8CA-44BC-8F7C-0192902A4A49.png
    F7C3DA16-F8CA-44BC-8F7C-0192902A4A49.png
    825 KB · Views: 10
So. This forcast has me thinking twice about making the trip. 20klm/hr winds from the north. That means calm close to shore but from Burwell staright out at 50ft it will be getting sporty. Not impossible but might not be pleasant. especially if we see the 30Klm/hr gusts.

Yah keeps changing
I’m planning to go out before sunrise get my limit early come back before the winds pick up hopefully
Today wasn’t as windy as they were calling for still windy but not as bad.
Tomorrow’s forecast keeps changing but one thing that hasn’t changed is it dies over night so first light fishing should still be good

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks