erie chop?

BrentEve

Thinking of heading out to bruce or Burwell this evening any idea on the conditions? I've looked at the sites provided in other threads but still a rookie and dont fully understand. any help would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: BWU
It looks like it’s going to be a
Little windy this afternoon .. I personally would not head out

There isn't any wind at all here in London right now. Looking at the sites I go to, there isn't supposed to be much of one at Bruce right now either, showing 4km/hr from the west, by 2pm it's showing it will become an offshore NW at 11km/hr. The weather buoy south of Pt Stanley is showing a west wind at 3.9 knots or 7km/hr and wave height under 1ft. the lake should be fairly flat, might be a small chop, but if I owned a boat, or if I was going to the pier today, I'd be there already. I'm going tomorrow, that's the only reason I'm not there now.

Given the amount of rain, and the wind we've had the past couple days, I'm going to guess that the mudline is out there quite a ways today. You can still catch fish in muddy water, but what you catch may not necessarily be what you're after. I've caught catfish, sheephead, carp, in muddy water, and the occasional bass, but rarely have I caught any yellow perch or walleye in really muddy water. Doesn't mean they aren't there tho. I'm intending on going tomorrow, but if we get a lot of rain today, I might postpone that trip until Tuesday to give the lake a chance to clear up a bit.

How far out is the mud line? Will the mud affect the fishing?
Don't let the mud line scare you....I've fished in the mud line with great results. Sometimes you just have to try a fishing tactic or give the weather a shot.....don't believe everything you read, sometimes you're wrong and sometimes it's the best fishing ever...its better than couch surfing lol

I agree with you bassaholic, but there is a difference between fishing the mudline, and fishing in muddy water off a pier. If I was out in a boat, I'd be looking for the mudline and I'd be fishing as close to it as possible. From shore, you don't always have that option. There's only so far you can cast.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the weather man right, winds going to turn and be offshore which in turn will make a few miles quite calm.

and would be better if it would stop raining for you also. Enjoy

if the weather man right, winds going to turn and be offshore which in turn will make a few miles quite calm and would be better if it would stop raining for you also. Enjoy

Yep that's what I'm seeing as well, and although it would be nice if it stopped raining, over the years I've had some of my best success fishin in the rain. Have rain gear, will fish :ROFLMAO:

if the weather man right, winds going to turn and be offshore which in turn will make a few miles quite calm.

and would be better if it would stop raining for you also. Enjoy

weatherman was totally wrong. Winds Monday in PT Bruce in the morning were supposed to be NW at 4km/hr. They were NE at closer to 10 when I got there, then shifted to East, then SE at more than 10km/hr.

I was out of Burwell today, each time the weather app was checked it just got worse. East and building to the point of enough of this, lets head for home.

I ended up getting out Monday evening. Weather was great. A bit of chop in 50FOW but manageable.... good time to figure out what the hell I'm doing with leadcore... very new to all erie fishing.... didnt get anything though. But there's many many more trips in the future!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks