Off Topic Electric Trolling Motor - Choice

fish hawk

Considering installing a trolling motor on the boat (Crestliner m/n 1950).
Would appreciate any recommendations for the best model to purchase and who is the best vendor for knowledge and service.
I am located near Port Dover.
TIA

Recommend Grimsby Tackle too. They're not cheap and it gets really expensive if you buy the wrong one first.

It might be all about how much room you have for battery storage and how to charge them. When I was in Burwell I had to haul the battery out every time to re-charge. Some of the new Lithium batteries are getting close to $1K EACH.

The Minn Kota Ulttera Quest. Is the new model older is discontinued and no longer available you will only find limited stock. And I have searched could not find any in 72 inch shaft.. which is a must on a large boat in the Great Lakes.
if you are using for trolling on Erie on any Great Lakes make sure to get I pilot link that way you can use as autopilot to steer your troll And actually track the path on your Hummingbird. The new Quest models run both 24/36 volts 90/115 lb available in Ulttera or Terova. And the price is Jacked up considerably. New Ulttera I pilot 72 “ is 6k. Older model was 3600 dollars

Garmin has a new one just released this month. The force Kraken, it’s electric steer and the only electric on the market that’s designed for forward facing sonar to go through the shaft. It’s got rave reviews all over YouTube. Watch Jay Siemen’s video. This thing can do 24/36 volt, it’s brushless, 63” and 75” shafts, remote with gps control spot lock etc. it’s got the highest thrust power on the market for brushless motors. This thing is seriously big competition for Minn Kota once more ppl know about it.

Not a Motorguide I had trouble since I got mine and before my warranty ran out I had the repairs done to it and it still wasn't working proper so I called Motoerguide and they said they see on the records that there was work done on it and I was told sorry but your warranty is up now and I said even though I have had problems since I bought it and they said sorry we can't do anything for you

Its a tossup with Motorguide. if you have Lowrance it's great when integrated. But the quality is lacking, and no display on remote is annoying too. I took mine off to do some work on the bow and when I put it back Sunday I had water dripping from the head on the garage floor. Took the head cover off - traces of rusty water. the way this cover is attached - there is no insolation whatsoever and some gaps - the water will be getting in. I ended up putting electric tape on the side facing up when I m driving, hopefully it will help a little.

From day one if I don't unplug the trolling motor after using it for the day the batteries in the foot peddle go dead and the last month it has been binding when I bring the motor up to the lock position in the cradle. I did take the side shields off the sides to see if I could find out the cause of it binding and I found 2 bolts just laying inside and most of the other screws were loose so I tightened them all and it still is binding but if I push on the deploy peddle while bringing it to the lock position it doesn't bind so I'm going to dig into it a little farther and I agree about the remote not having it lit up. I should have stayed with MinnKota

I would stick with Minn Kota they have been in the game the longes.
I love the Ulttera because I am an old fart and don’t feel like pulling it up and down 5 6 times a day
but know that with Ulttera you have to have very good batterie, because it is a pain in the but if you run out of juice.

Considering installing a trolling motor on the boat (Crestliner m/n 1950).
Would appreciate any recommendations for the best model to purchase and who is the best vendor for knowledge and service.
I am located near Port Dover.
TIA
Do you have any plans to install FFS ? I have always been a Lowrance guy and have the ghost and a 12 HDS live as well as a 9 HDS live at the bow. I will be making the move to Garmin next season. Like others have said, Garmin is the leader in electronics today and I don't hear any bad things about there trolling motors.

Not a Motorguide I had trouble since I got mine and before my warranty ran out I had the repairs done to it and it still wasn't working proper so I called Motoerguide and they said they see on the records that there was work done on it and I was told sorry but your warranty is up now and I said even though I have had problems since I bought it and they said sorry we can't do anything for you
I have had tons of issues with my minn kota. Never worked right and they could fix it . Its actually unsafe to use . It will lock on and lose connection with the remote . The only way to stop the motor is rush over and pull the plug.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks