Elbow lakers advice

lazywave

I’ve downrigged my whole life for pickerel and have had lots of success. But I’ve never specifically targeted lakers before and looking to head out this weekend to the elbow for them. I got all sorts of lures and got the full spread of dipsy’s, riggers, and 10 colour leadcore and am confident with all. Just looking for starting advise on depth and types of lures to uses as I’ve never targeted lake trout before. Thanks in advance

Was out Tuesday afternoon just below the five mile from 75'to85' rigger at 60' feet a 10 colour out the back 2 dipsys 180 back purple spoons with copper back caught 10 Lakers in 2hours 30 min.
Thanks!! That’s helpful. Normal sized 3 1/2” walleye spoons or should I use my larger size NK’s. And what speed? 2.5-3 mph like walleye

Was out Tuesday afternoon just below the five mile from 75'to85' rigger at 60' feet a 10 colour out the back 2 dipsys 180 back purple spoons with copper back caught 10 Lakers in 2hours 30 min.

I was out Wed evening in 60’ south of 5 mile and caught 2 lakers , one one 4 colour less core on blue/ silver RRF and one on a Dipsy / spoon #3 setting 67’ out
Was targeting walleye

Why would u target those dirty fish when theres tons of rainbows out there that have a much better table fare and there are walleye mixed in with em

Why would u target those dirty fish when theres tons of rainbows out there that have a much better table fare and there are walleye mixed in with em

I know a lot of ppl who would dispute you on Lakers being a "dirty fish." When I lived in the NWT, it was mainly Lakers and Pike that were targeted because Walleye were hard to find, and even if you knew where to go to get'em, the daily limit of 1, possession limit of 2 (at the time, no idea what the limits are today) made it not worthwhile because it was a long drive and a lot of gas for 1 fish. Lakers and Pike, easily found, close to Yellowknife, if not right in the city, and a bigger limit.

In the 17+ years I lived there, I never saw a boat with down riggers on it, or people with the heavier action leadcore, dipsey or rigger rods used here. They were caught using what most of us use here for perch, medium action rods. I have a medium action Berkley Power pole that I've had for close to 33 years that has caught many Lakers ranging in weight from 2lbs to 20+lbs. I know guys who have the same fishing pole, that have caught Lakers in the 40+lb range. It was a matter of knowing how to use the drag on your reel no differently than it is here for bigger fish.

Buzz Bombs and Wolverine Spoons (see the pictures) worked best. You can't get this particular "Wolverine Spoon" anymore. They were custom made by the former owner of Wolverine Sports in Yellowknife, and when he retired and sold the business after I left, I'm told they were discontinued.

I know you can get Lakers in the deeper water out past the lighthouse at the end of Long Point. I know you can get'em off Kettle Point in Lake Huron. I know you can get'em in the Niagara River, and Lake Ontario, and I know you can get'em in Lake Simcoe. BUT I don't have a boat, and I don't know those waters, so I don't target them. I haven't caught a Laker since I left the NWT 16 years ago. IF I had a boat, I'd almost certainly target them once in a while just for something different.

Attachments

• Lake Trout Lures (1).jpg
    Lake Trout Lures (1).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Lake Trout Lures (2).jpg
    Lake Trout Lures (2).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 33
Last outing that way,this past week. I started in 35fow with a NE heading from bluffs bar area I picked 1 off instantly with 0 dipsy set on 1 out 90ft with a small flutter spoon. Cought a few more nearing the elbow in 50-55fow. All but 1 came on spoons of different sizes. odd ball was RRF off 5 colors...which also caught the jumper trout. 2.5 -3mph worked for me. I was trying for walleye. I had caught 12 in the same area last year in june(with walleye rainbow and browns mixed in) and wanted to see if they favored the spot or it was just luck. Cought 7 in the last 2 outings while trying for walleye. 3 from 35-40fow and 4 from 50-60. All my Lakers came on gear set no deeper then 40ft. They was all jam packed with 3-4inch smelt. We put the smoke to the last batch...taste like a greasy trout to me...not bad..Not as good as a small smoked coho but like any greasy smoked trout Lol. they are a good fighting fish for sure.
Hope this helps you boat some grease.
I would bump up the hook size if they won't stay hooked. I had a problem keeping them pinned last year until I went to a bigger hook. Biggest last year was 17lbs which had a hell of a big gate on it.
Best of luck to you.

Got a dozen there on Sunday in 90 fow, all but 1 came on riggers with spoons and a slider, only 1 fish on a dipsey. Nothing on RRF. Ball down 75-80, sliders took several fish so they arent all laying on the bottom. Black and white spoons.

We got 5 on Tuesday 60 to 100 ft by the light house.greasy chicken wing spoon on down rigger. blue walleye diver on 3oz snap weight ,glass shad covered with worms 3 colors. Was looking for walleye

My best laker bait for lake Erie is a spin-n-glo in any size above 0 with a short skirt that glows and drag bottom out there with the rigger to get a dust cloud and you want your bait 10-20' behind so it's just above the cloud and sticks out (spin-n-glo's float so will be slightly off bottom. Hard to get on my underwater inline camera). Went out last year 2-4 days a week depending on weather and only got skunked once.. haven't made it out for them this year yet been busy doing some renovations. People say that there isnt alot ov Lakers on Erie but it's only cuz they haven't put in the time to find them!!! Good luck

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks