Elbow Catch July 5th

10-7

Water Conditions: Very calm (glass), clearLocation: Trolled North & South along Elbow ridgeFOW: 67'
GPS Speed: 2.5mph
Method Used: 4 Lines In using variety of tech: dipsey # 3 (90' & 110' back), riggers @ 35 to 40', core @ 5 colour ( all worked well when used)
Successful lure: Ripplin Redfin (copper) on leadcore 5 colour out
Spoon colour: copper belly in am (greasy chicken, etc. and silver belly later in day (watermelon).
Results: 7/10 steelhead & 2/ 4 eyes. The trout kept spitting out lure during their acrobatic show.lol Trout were caught on riggers & dipseys) Spoons & RRfin were the ticket. One trout weighed in at 15lbs. and one eye at 8.5lbs.

Amazing Day on the water. Great to see the action in our backyard start up again. The trout were on fire.

10-7
IMG_1124_2.jpg

IMG_1123_2.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

Nice report that bottom fish sorta looks like a small coho mouth looks dark

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove,X-zone Lures, IMA Lures and Numa Optics for their support

The Elbow is pretty much half way point between Port Dover and the lighthouse within the LPB area. I don't off hand have the exact gps coordinates, but if you look on a nav chart you will see an under water ledge or ridge shaped like an elbow with gas well lines nearby. Hope this helps. I believe it's marked on stomp's map as a point of interest.

Cheers

10-7

Nice going guys. Once upon a time it was common to have a catch like that at the Elbow but in 2012, like you said "Amazing Day on the Water". Be real nice if you can do it a second time this summer.

Yah Arnie, your 100% correct. I just get more pleasure fishing our own backyard. 1 eye = 4 eyes caught in West basin. It's the pride in the hunt and the convenience of course. This year when time and weather permits, I will focus on our backyard regardless of the outcome. Nothing beats having the lighthouse in the back drop as you troll. Love it. Hope to hear from you and Norv with results if you guys get out there. More feedback the better.lol I will also try to share my results if any. Note: haven't really been able to mark any eyes; however, it did appear to have activity at the 30' mark and above. The eyes at this point are elusive, but the trout were very active. We actually ended the day with a dbl header off the riggers. Unfortunately, cldn't get them to the boat.lol....

Cheers

10-7

I keep hearing how bad the fishing is out around the longpoint area in recent years, but each time we make the trek up there, the fishing has always been great.

I always have a hard time getting into bows, because I'm used to fishing slower, with harnesses. But every time we come west to the lighthouse, and run our eastern end setup, the walleye always cooperate. We seem to do really well in about 88-90ft straight out from Nanticoke, with fish hugging bottom.

quote:
Originally posted by Duck Soup

Nice going guys. Once upon a time it was common to have a catch like that at the Elbow but in 2012, like you said "Amazing Day on the Water". Be real nice if you can do it a second time this summer.

Shouldnt need to go out a 2nd time. Have enough red fillets there for the next 2 years.

DSCF1466.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by quinner01

quote:
Originally posted by Duck Soup

Shouldnt need to go out a 2nd time. Have enough red fillets there for the next 2 years.

believe it or not, but some people actually eat fish more than a few times a year and share their catch with friends and family.

to the OP...congrats on an excellent outing and i can't wait to see your next report that will hopefully show you guys with a limit of red fillets. thanks for the detailed report as well.

Back