Eating Coho from lake O

FlyingViking

Hey guys,

Went out today from bronte and lost a few but landed a 7 pound coho. I have always chucked them back. Never ever eaten them or any lake O fish.

the partner in the boat said to keep it and try it on the bbq. I cleaned it, flesh is not as red as I expected it to be.

I’m sketch on this.. I love my Erie pickerel.. but.. thoughts?

Coho is the best salmon IMHO you can either bake or cold smoke. I prefer cold smoke - absolutely magnificient! Give me 10lb coho instead of 30lb king all day long.

Did the bbq like jammers! Ok, my fear of freshwater salmon is over! Back to the lake for more tomorrow! Live off the land!
Thanks guys.. baby steps

if ur not sure do both, smoke em with some spice like emerils essence finish with a bit of maple syrup of honey baste, and fry em like picks

Some tips for you.
1 bleed it out
2 put on ice after
3 when you filet, leave a thin layer of flesh on the skin the filet should not have any brown flesh on it
4 remove blood line
5 remove belly fat

Coho is naturally sweet and delicate. marinade in white wine and garlic with a bay leaf for a half hour before cooking - then Barbee on a cedar plank with chives and your fave seasoning. It will leave you hunting them every outing my rule of thumb is less than 24 inches is good to go, any bigger and it's selfie and release

As mentioned above it also makes killer cold smoked salmon, or hot smoked salmon candy

We had a big discussion about bleeding it out when we left the boat launch. That’s my ritual for pickerel.
We got into a heated discussion with my fishing partner/neighbor about bleeding salmon.

we stopped at the intersection of highway 5 and 25, he jumped out and ran to the live-well. Ran the fish back to the infinity q60 and slit its throat on my winter car mats . “Thereit’s bled out

yes. Bleeding your catch it the way to go.

for sale: 2020 infinity q60

We had a big discussion about bleeding it out when we left the boat launch. That’s my ritual for pickerel.
We got into a heated discussion with my fishing partner/neighbor about bleeding salmon.

we stopped at the intersection of highway 5 and 25, he jumped out and ran to the live-well. Ran the fish back to the infinity q60 and slit its throat on my winter car mats . “Thereit’s bled out

yes. Bleeding your catch it the way to go.

for sale: 2020 infinity q60

And somebody(neighbour) looking for a new friend.

Your nards are going to glow in the dark now-lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks