Dropshotting, new science or just remarketed still fishing?

Bassassin

This is from a thread I started on another good forum, so if it looks familiar it may be.

I am often called old fashioned, a human paradigm, even a dinosaur going down the river the wrong way whatever that meant, and that was 30 years ago. Please educate me, I hope old dogs can learn new good tricks. I'll try anything to put a fish on my line. I even bought a Colour C lector once.

Dropshoting, Aren't we talking about still fishing with vertical presentation. I always wanted to know the science behind this dropshot system. With that hook tight to the main drop line a fish needs to take the bait strait on I think. Point of hook first. If the fish strikes from the rear or side it would most likely feel the drop line and let go as that main line would not be free as it would if it was on a light tag. When we set up this type of drop shot the tag line was always made of the lightest diameter mono you could get away with and light split shot, just enough to hold the line vertical, keep the bait moving naturally if alive, up, down, left right. Dropshoting looks to be too static and goes against much I have learned. If you watched panfish and some game fish feed through crystal clear water IE ice fishing shallow Erie or snorkeling, you would see the fish inhale the bait by vacuuming in the bait, if something was amiss they would spit it out. Then often will suck it back in again. If they felt something was up they spit it and ran. Walleye are a inhale, spit and restrike if you have ever watched them diving. For another thread, don't want to digress here.

They are selling dropshot hooks, dropshot weights, do they have custom dropshot rods? Are we getting sucked in by marketing gurus in New York looking for our hard earned money? Or is there a science to this phenomenon that I'm not getting? I was one of those guys that ran to LaBaron or the Sportmans show in the 80's every time Al Linder mentioned a new product and tried to buy it.

I haven't tried the hook tied directly to the line setup, should I?

Well I don't know about "dropshotting" being a new science but I can guarantee you you don't need to go out and buy special rods weights etc. Until recently I was using pickerel rigs to catch perch from shore, anyone who has tried to unravel one quickly from a package and attach snelled hooks just as quick knows how frustrating it is.

I took a cue from my dad and created something using a 3 way swivel. Basically you attach a snap swivel to the line and then add the 3 way line to that with a bell sinker at the bottom. When we were out on Tues, the fish didn't care as long as there was a minnow attached. In fact I had cast out, put my rod down turned around for 2 seconds, next thing I know my rod would have gone in the drink if I hadn't have been quick to see it.

I use a three way too...seems to work well...sometimes i will use pick rig and use flouro tied leaders for the hooks....makes me feel like I am pretty smart!

Here's my take:

I was skeptical at first too but after being completely out fished, to my chagrin, from my bro and nephew a few times I conceded. ( hoping my nephew doesn't read this.......... lol ).

I use drop shot rigs all the time now for most slow presentations. Minnows or leaches ect mainly for perch and smallies.
At first I felt the same as, wondering what the big deal was, but from seeing it produce fish as well as ease of use its my go to system for live bait.

Pick rigs deff do work but maybe I'm all thumbs as I get a lot of twists and tangles, so can be said for the three swivel set up for me, IMHO.

What I do like about the drop shot is less tangles and control on depth with the weight system.
Very easy to move the weight on the lead up and down and can use their weights or split shots too, doesn't matter really.
Also like that I have more lip hook sets which is better for live release too. Just what I've noticed using it so far.

Have had huge success using 3 inch power leaches with drop shot for small mouths, in Erie and Northern lakes.
Tie two hooks on for perch with drop shot and have had lots of luck that way too, have seen numerous double headers.

I normally tie the whole system to braid with flouro as I find with less stretch than mono I feel the smaller hits and have a better hook set as well.

As far as the vertical / horizontal presentation I get where you're coming from and had the same thoughts.
I think it depends on what you're using and what your targeting.

If I'm using plastic worms or tubes I usually use the Texas rig with slip weights, mainly largies and smallies.
Jigs tipped with twisters or whatever are going to give diff presentation, mainly walleye, pike, panfish ect.

I do find the drop shot to be that kinda in between set up in your box that's a must for me. Like I said before, for minnow and leach its my "go to" system.

Give it a shot.........if you don't like it switch back to what you like........at least you're out on the water.
I'd rather be conducting a little small scale "fish n tackle research" than work any day!.

I've seem a cpl variations of the drop shot hook out there but Canadian Tire has them and its not really that expensive.

Cheers
D

D, you covered that subject quite well on "drop shotting" and I would have to say that you are a very skillful fisherman in my books. Yes CT or any good bait and tackle shops have the "swivel hooks" and I use the 2 hooks with a "pencil weight" on the bottom of the rig. Snap swivel the weight so you can change wieght when you need to. Some people don't like to much "jewelry" on their rig, so you have to judge by how "lite" the bite is. Always have a some type of swivel on top of your rig and use the smallest you can find(#12 or #14) gold or black.
The "drop shot rig" setup I was shown by my grandpa was swivel tied to main line ,then 1 ft. down, tie on 1 hook then 10"down another hook and 1 ft. down your weight. Always tip hooks with minnows and catch lots of fish!!!!!!!!! Drop shotting is meant for still fishing(vertical) ,but can be casted in some circumstances

Thanks Rob,

I try and land a few here and there lol Always up for new techniques and tips to try as well.
If it gets fish in the boat I'll try it!

Cheers

All good info folks. The thing I don't get is tying the hook directly to the drop line. I am going to try the hook direct to main drop line asap.

I find drop shot fishing great while drifting, easier on snags and puts bait in the strike zone. 2 of us in boat small mouth fishing. I used drop shot he used jig, then he went slip sinker. both with minnow. I smoked him. he finally switched over, had fewer snag issues and more fish. he has now converted

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks