Downrigging weights

lazywave

Due to a failed crimp last season I am in need of a new downrigger weight. Open to all suggestions. Have always ran orange 10lb sharks but am open to change. Want to hear everyone’s opinion. Best shape, colour, finish, etc. Anyone run glow in the dark balls? What have you liked best or even what have you learned to stay away from. Open to all suggestions

I only ran 10 pounds black pancake style on manual rigger
When I started downrigging was told by my seasoned fishing partner to keep it stealthy as you want your lure to attract the fish not your weight
It will be interesting read what others think

I recommend the POW weights, less blow back than any other weights on the market. They have them at Angling Outfitters.
One thing I noticed with the POW weights is they are dimpled. Does this make a difference, and if so what is the purpose? Also that’s who my #1 in my mind currently is. Do you have any colour preference as I know they make almost every one in the rainbow

Highly recommend POW weights who now also manufacture the well liked Titan cannon balls also! Angling Outfitters has the best selection for both in all of Ontario! As far as colour goes...personally Black is all I use on Erie and Ontario for Walleye and Kings.

Ryan

Highly recommend POW weights who now also manufacture the well liked Titan cannon balls also! Angling Outfitters has the best selection for both in all of Ontario! As far as colour goes...personally Black is all I use on Erie and Ontario for Walleye and Kings.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. I saw on Facebook the other day that they purchased Titan cannon balls. I know titans are smooth sided where where POW’s are not. Any preference in this?

Last edited:
Do you mostly fish lake erie ....or do you fish lake Ontario or huron also .

If you just fish Erie I would say a 10 lb black
Fish shaped or torpedo, or pancake ... less blow back than round . Reason for black ...is that seems to be one of the better producing dipsy diver colours ...is it coincidence???

If your fish lake O and or Huron
I would suggest heavier weights.... deeper you go , the more blow back so I would suggest 14 - 17 lb ....depends on what your rigger can handle

I have also noticed on lake o salmon seem to come check out the the orange cannon ball more than the black.

But most guides recommend black or silver depending on depths and lite conditions

Several utube videos

Silver pancake, if I remember, they're 14 lb, came with the boat.

Only fished Erie, Lake of Bays and Oxtongue with the boat so far.

Much more a fan of dipsies, but the days Riggers are working, seems to be few issues.

But, the slider always out fishes the bottom bait.

I mostly fish Erie. But I do frequent the blue zone quite a bit so fishing in 160-190 fow isn’t uncommon for me. However I don’t think I’ve ever ran a ball deeper than 110 down
When I was fishing king salmon off BC we were fishing in 947 fow with the 20 lb. Cannonballs down 235 ft. That makes the blue zone look shallow. :)

If you fish both Erie and Lake Ontario get 12lb POW’s in whatever colour you desire. I run mostly black weights but do have one in Copper.

If you fish both Erie and Lake Ontario get 12lb POW’s in whatever colour you desire. I run mostly black weights but do have one in Copper.
Sorry. By blue zone I am referring to lake Erie’s blue zone south of the tip of long point. I’ve never fished lake O

Ive run sharks and POW‘s both do a decent job - black is our preferred....Speaking of downrigger weights 10# and above, ive been contemplating grabbing scotty downrigger weight snubbers. Just nervous hanging these expensive weights from a rubber bungee. Anyone have any pros or cons they could share? thanks

Silver pancake, if I remember, they're 14 lb, came with the boat.

Only fished Erie, Lake of Bays and Oxtongue with the boat so far.

Much more a fan of dipsies, but the days Riggers are working, seems to be few issues.

But, the slider always out fishes the bottom bait.
I’m extremely familiar with oxtounge lake fish it regularly where did you stay ?

. Anyone have any pros or cons they could share? thanks
Firstlight. Those blue scotty snubbers are much easier on the hands then grabbing a bare cable thats for sure. I d keep them stored away from direct light so the rubber/plastic (whatever it is), is not degraded when not in use. If they form cracks from age I'd think its time to replace them

Ive run sharks and POW‘s both do a decent job - black is our preferred....Speaking of downrigger weights 10# and above, ive been contemplating grabbing scotty downrigger weight snubbers. Just nervous hanging these expensive weights from a rubber bungee. Anyone have any pros or cons they could share? thanks

I use one.

I like not grabbing the wire anymore. Allows for rigger bounce not all into the wire and connections.

Don't know the break strength, but 2 years now still looks new, no fading or cracks.

Firstlight. Those blue scotty snubbers are much easier on the hands then grabbing a bare cable thats for sure. I d keep them stored away from direct light so the rubber/plastic (whatever it is), is not degraded when not in use. If they form cracks from age I'd think its time to replace them
Thanks for the info Centerspin and hvyhaul! I will give them a try, good point keeping them out of the sun! They arent overly expensive compared to many other things in boat so if I need to replace in a couple years thats ok. Thanks again!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks