Downrigger opinions

After running a Charter Business for many years I have had most riggers. I started with Big John. then went to Walker then to Cannon on my next 3 boats and then to Scotty. I have since retired from the chart business and have down sixed my ride to an 18' Legend. I have Walkers on this boat. In my opinion all riggers have their ups and downs (pun intended) but I find not one is better or worse than another as it is what you get used to.
Ive always run Cannons..had a pair of mini mags on an 18' Starcraft that were just workhorses fof a small rigger. I had some maual Cannons for a bit and great but too much work. I had a pair of Big John electrics after that and they were just a headache.the small spools would constantly get wire coming off and wrapping around the spindle causing HUGE messes. I dumped them fast and went back to Cannons. Guess its what I am used to. I might still upgrade for next year, and would likely go to Scotties to stay Canadian.

I have Scotties and love them. I put a 6 foot track on both sides this year and added 3 dual axis rod holders on each side and got rid of the Scotty rod holder bases.
If I am to ever replace the Scottie’s it will be riggers made by Magnum Metalz see link
A buddy of mine has these riggers and they are great and have a small foot print compared to a lot of other riggers.
Those look sweet!!!

I've run Lure Pilots for 25 years. Made in Ontario. Never looked for new ones coming from the son of the manufacture. lol

Thanks for all the replies and pms. I just tested the riggers in the shop and both are 100%. I think I got the battery plug connections reversed...I didnt think it made a difference other that running the motor retrieval switch backwards but wrong...so an easy cheap fix. Think Ill run these for this year but look around for season end sales for next year!
I was just thinking, what are the odds of both your downriggers failing at the same time. Glad you figured it out.

Cannon Digi-trolls on the Tyee and I love them. No issues in 7 years, knock on wood.

I picked up a pair used electric bigjons with swivel bases for 250cash. Been on the boat for the past 3-4years now. Can't say I love them or hate them..They do what there intended to do, drop the ball(8pound) and pull it back up,never gave me any trouble.
Cable was shit when I got them so re-spooled them with 250lb braid since it was 50% off. Replaced 1 breaker and 1plug..while doing so I put some silicon around the housing to keep water out. They been running none stop since. These "gems" are dated 89 & 90.

I just looked at the serial number on the Lure Pilots. - I am feeling old. Running them for 40 years. - Feels like a lot less! Stuff made back then lasts much longer. Big Johns included. Remember the Gremlin cars! Same electric motors for their windshield wipers -- just geared differently for the riggers.

I just looked at the serial number on the Lure Pilots. - I am feeling old. Running them for 40 years. - Feels like a lot less! Stuff made back then lasts much longer. Big Johns included. Remember the Gremlin cars! Same electric motors for their windshield wipers -- just geared differently for the riggers.

Remember the Gremlin? The Wife, girlfriend back then had one. LOL

Oh the memories of that thing.

Wouldn't start if there was a cloud within 150 miles, but in the dead of Winter it was the only one that started on the block in - 40 temps.

1973 The beginning of AMC computer ignitions OIY . LOL 🌻

Went to the boat to drop off some equipment and put the downriggers on. Older white Cannon mags. Neither would work..no power. They are direct to batteries which are 100% charged and on floats. Ill test the riggers at home, check wiring etc but I've had some issues in the past so might be time for replacement.

I've always run Cannons and I like them, and I have the swivel mounts already on my Trophy..but am open to change especially considering Canons are next to impossible to get due to supply interruption.

I've heard Scott's are really good, Canadian made, lifetime warranty..opinions? Need to get mine running or replaced fast
I just picked up a cannon mag 10 from Bills Bait in Hamilton on the weekend. Also life time warranty so I was told.

I run cannon mag 10s, mainly because we got them for 60% off at the time 15 years ago, I like them cause I'm use to them, had one issue few years ago with one of the boards and replaced it, Know some guys have had issues with water getting into the new model, I believe I would make the switch to another brand after I seen cannons less then 4 months old getting shipped back,

I have 2 Big Jons from 1993 on my boat. Cannon has tempted me with their slick look but the Big Jons keep going…

I run the Cannon Mag 10’s and yes they do have a violent stop for which I didn’t like in the retrieval mode. I made up a heavy nylon cord approx 18-20” long and it attaches to the rigger cable and the cannon ball on the other end. Now when it comes to surface and stops the cannon ball is still below water surface and the shock load is dramatically less.
Cannon has addressed that problem now Jim on their new models with what they call Short Stop.

Cannon Short-Stop - When retrieving a weight, your downrigger will automatically stop it at the waterline. This eliminates cable strain caused by bouncing, stops the weight from hitting the boom end, and prevents weights from hitting the hull.

I have Scotties and love them. I put a 6 foot track on both sides this year and added 3 dual axis rod holders on each side and got rid of the Scotty rod holder bases.
If I am to ever replace the Scottie’s it will be riggers made by Magnum Metalz see link
A buddy of mine has these riggers and they are great and have a small foot print compared to a lot of other riggers.
They sure look terrific but with shipping, US exchange rate and HST at Canadian Border Customs they get expensive very fast.

Had the same two Big Jons for 42 years. One of the motors just burned out about a week ago.

I thought about getting Cannon or Scotty but ended up getting used Big Jons so I wouldn't have to remove or install anything because the swivel bases were already there.

They will probably outlast me, lol.

Had the same two Big Jons for 42 years. One of the motors just burned out about a week ago.

I thought about getting Cannon or Scotty but ended up getting used Big Jons so I wouldn't have to remove or install anything because the swivel bases were already there.

They will probably outlast me, lol.
Bigjons have awesome optional SS rod holders that spring up when fish bites. Like it was said here all makes have some great features

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks