Downrigger cable

Dunnster

I had a cable break on one of my downriggers Saturday so cannonball laying on bottom of lake. Time to replace the cables so I was wondering if anyone has tried using the downrigger braid, or if I should just stick with stainless. It says the braid doesn't kink and I'm sure that is why mine broke, it also says it doesn't hum going through the water. But I'm thinking out might collect sea fleas like braid fishing line. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

A fellow member here that I have the privilege to fish with , has been using braid on his down riggers for years ..... haven't noticed any issues
Run 15 lb fish for salmon ....even got snagged on bottom ....had to hand line it in.

Really haven't seen allot of build up of fleas either

I had a cable break on one of my downriggers Saturday so cannonball laying on bottom of lake. Time to replace the cables so I was wondering if anyone has tried using the downrigger braid, or if I should just stick with stainless. It says the braid doesn't kink and I'm sure that is why mine broke, it also says it doesn't hum going through the water. But I'm thinking out might collect sea fleas like braid fishing line. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
I switched to braid. Used old 10 for a couple of months then back to my pancake 15’s. three years on it and no issues. 400’ so I did cut off 100 this year no fray just didn’t want to push luck. LESS hum still sing with 110 out on Ontario. No flees that I notice.

I switched to braid. Used old 10 for a couple of months then back to my pancake 15’s. three years on it and no issues. 400’ so I did cut off 100 this year no fray just didn’t want to push luck. LESS hum still sing with 110 out on Ontario. No flees that I notice.
Out of curiosity what pound test braid do you use?

Ya auto up/stop won't work any more on Cannons. Used 500lb test braid on my Big jons no issues and never had auto stop to start with. I would change to Braid again

I know my next cable replacement will be braid for sure on my Scotty's.

Cannon recommend to change the wire every 2 years. My cannons are on the 3rd year and I did notice some of the wire starting to strip off on the outside in the first few ft so I cut 10 ft and changed the terminator. Generally I check the wire every trip before I deploy the rigger. In the winter will definitely be replacing it with a new stainless steel wire. I don't know about fleas... I think that you should be using downrigger ball snubbers (I am using Amish Outfitters ones, they are fantastic) and stick with stainless wire. The wire makes a little humming noise and helps with the bite for salmon on Lake O.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks