Off Topic Down rigger help

taper

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After 4 years without a boat I just bought myself a new to me boat, it came with a rigger. I have never owned a rigger before, I will be using the rigger on Erie for eyes and bows. My question is what are your preferences for cannon ball weight type etc.

Hvyhaul thanks for the picture, very helpful. What is the black block , is that for a cheater line? Alos what do you call the coloured strap? I am guessing that is in case you caught bottom.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.

@taper the black item is the Chamberlain D/R release I use, and the blue thingamajig is a Scotty snubber and/or shock absorber. :)

How old are your riggers ? Elec. older riggers were only designed for 8 LB. if you use heavier weights you can stress the motor. Manuals it's your arm ? Less hardwear between the ball and cable. Walker Downrigger clincher cable terminator if you can find them. Red, Black or White, Offshore release connected to the ball.
Ball I'd go the cheaper round ball for starters, you lose one your not out much.

Last edited:
I love my fish shaped ones. Not sure where they came from because ive never seen them like this before. I'll try and send pics tonight. Theyre like the normal fish shaped ones but the tailes are turned. so they pull away from the boat, kinda like a planer or dipsy. mine are 8lb but would like 10lb. As a few guys stated biggest you can safely go without straining the motor or your arm.

My rigger is an electric Scotty, I believe a depthtroll but not sure. I will check it out and get back to you.

I run Lure Pilot electric down riggers, with 8lb cannon balls. My electric riggers are 20 years old and still working well. Roemer releases are great for the slider feature. Run the slider (also called cheater) 15,20, or 25 feet above the bottom release on the same line. When "fish on" -- trip the rigger up button and the top Roemer release trips and slides to the bottom release hands free. https://www.fishusa.com/Roemer-Releases. Be sure to check the end of your rigger because the Roemer is a mechanical release meaning it has to hit the rod end pulley housing cleanly to release. We use them in heavy current because they are adjustable tension to reduce false pop offs when changing down stream to up stream direction. ( Lower Niagra River outlet and Sault Ste. Marie).

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a chart long ago with a bit of math to figure out the actual distance down versus the amount on the counter. To use the chart estimate the angle of the line on the water, go down the amount you let out and in the chart you have vertical down and distance behind the boom.

Attachments

• Rigger_Distance.jpg
    Rigger_Distance.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 76
I made a chart long ago with a bit of math to figure out the actual distance down versus the amount on the counter. To use the chart estimate the angle of the line on the water, go down the amount you let out and in the chart you have vertical down and distance behind the boom.

works for me with just a click, you might have to do a "save as" and download the image file.

No don't do that, it saves a little tiny version of it. LOL useless like that

works for me with just a click, you might have to do a "save as" and download the image file.

No don't do that, it saves a little tiny version of it. LOL useless like that

Not sure how to load a full image?? Happy to email if you want it...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks