Dog on the boat

You will be hard pressed to find us trolling for Salmon or Walleye without our first mate. She's a 4 year old lab female and she loves the boat. She goes absolutely nuts when a rigger goes off or we're reeling in a fish. Can't take her when casting though - she thinks it's fish on every time you're reeling. She even goes along on the hard water. We let her do her thing before launch and try to keep the trips to a max of 6 hrs. The biggest issue I've found with her is overheating on hot still days. Make sure there's water available and somewhere to get out of the sun.

Looking for fish
20200620_082654.jpg
Waiting to get a walleye to the boat.
20210710_083944.jpg

Helping to navigate
20210816_130044.jpg

Waking up from a snooze in the popup
20220122_115418.jpg

Puppies poop and pee ... constantly but once trained it shouldn't be an issue. Most dogs will not make a mess where they live and prefer to go as far away as possible from their den/kennel. Dogs especially puppies just want to be with the pack aka family unit and just want to please the Alpha/owner so much praise with your "happy voice" when they get it right and for times when they don't you use your "not so happy voice" which is lower and sterner sounding. Dogs are smart and quickly pick up on this and your body english when delivering it. Most dogs will usually grasp what you want within 10 times of training but there is a saying "Training a dog is easy, training the Master is a lot harder" . Also when training use one word commands as in ; Sit means sit ! Come means come, etc., etc.. You are not asking them you are telling them to do so and that means immediately but of course this takes time and effort. If all else fails don't worry you are on a boat so flush the pee away into the bilge pump and as a responsible dog owner you will always be packing plastic bags to pick up her poop... right ? LoL ! As for your dogs safety you shouldn't allow them up on the Bow deck while underway. Also the floor of the boat can become very hot on their paws in the Summer , same for the Bow deck when anchored. Needless to say having water available for them to drink is a no brainer. Keep your tackle box closed and watch your lures on your lines !!! Puppies think everything is a toy but a fishing lure isn't it ! You didn't mention what kind of puppy you got but most dogs can swim and don't need a PFD but like humans they can tire and drown but keep in mind how warm those PFD's can get while wearing them as you don't want to overheat them.

Reactions: M_P
You will be hard pressed to find us trolling for Salmon or Walleye without our first mate. She's a 4 year old lab female and she loves the boat. She goes absolutely nuts when a rigger goes off or we're reeling in a fish. Can't take her when casting though - she thinks it's fish on every time you're reeling. She even goes along on the hard water. We let her do her thing before launch and try to keep the trips to a max of 6 hrs. The biggest issue I've found with her is overheating on hot still days. Make sure there's water available and somewhere to get out of the sun.

Looking for fish
View attachment 69355
Waiting to get a walleye to the boat.
View attachment 69354

Helping to navigate
View attachment 69356

Waking up from a snooze in the popup
View attachment 69357
Thank you so much.

Puppies poop and pee ... constantly but once trained it shouldn't be an issue. Most dogs will not make a mess where they live and prefer to go as far away as possible from their den/kennel. Dogs especially puppies just want to be with the pack aka family unit and just want to please the Alpha/owner so much praise with your "happy voice" when they get it right and for times when they don't you use your "not so happy voice" which is lower and sterner sounding. Dogs are smart and quickly pick up on this and your body english when delivering it. Most dogs will usually grasp what you want within 10 times of training but there is a saying "Training a dog is easy, training the Master is a lot harder" . Also when training use one word commands as in ; Sit means sit ! Come means come, etc., etc.. You are not asking them you are telling them to do so and that means immediately but of course this takes time and effort. If all else fails don't worry you are on a boat so flush the pee away into the bilge pump and as a responsible dog owner you will always be packing plastic bags to pick up her poop... right ? LoL ! As for your dogs safety you shouldn't allow them up on the Bow deck while underway. Also the floor of the boat can become very hot on their paws in the Summer , same for the Bow deck when anchored. Needless to say having water available for them to drink is a no brainer. Keep your tackle box closed and watch your lures on your lines !!! Puppies think everything is a toy but a fishing lure isn't it ! You didn't mention what kind of puppy you got but most dogs can swim and don't need a PFD but like humans they can tire and drown but keep in mind how warm those PFD's can get while wearing them as you don't want to overheat them.
Wow thank you you mini burapoo. I'm hoping she will love it as much as I do.

@fishing girl pink... I just throw them overboard and tell them when they are done their business they can come back onboard. 🙃
Ha ha! just kidding. Enjoy your new puppy and should be good for several hours by the time spring comes but take a puppy pad just in case. :cool:

Honey gets carsick a bit but likes the boat. It’s really only a problem for the first season.

Sounds like a small dog so the pee pad idea will probably work well. If it’s practical I would bring her only on short trips in the boat at first until she is very well house trained… to try to avoid creating a habit that peeing on the boat carpet is OK. Sometimes those things are hard to break!

Attachments

• 652E524C-3929-4712-94B9-1E8776981823.jpeg
    652E524C-3929-4712-94B9-1E8776981823.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 21
One of the key commands to teach your dog is peeing or popping on command. Every time your pup is doing it’s thing, give them the command. Mine is: Be a good dog and have a poop”. You will appreciate this when your pup gets to shore and you want them to go in that special spot, or just before they get on the boat, or when you let it out just before bed. Who wants to stand in the bitter cold waiting for your dog to do its thing?
My lab sleeps from 700 pm until 700 am. If you get your dog to go before getting on the boat and don’t feed it while on the boat (just water) you won’t have an issue once she is trained.
My philosophy is simple: “ Don’t let that pup ever do something you don’t want it to do.” If you don’t want it jumping on people, don’t let it start. She does something wrong, kennel her for a bit. They get the message without harsh punishment. They want to please you.
An area where the pup can go out of the sun on your boat is also a good idea.
One can teach these labs anything. Have fun.

One of the key commands to teach your dog is peeing or popping on command. Every time your pup is doing it’s thing, give them the command. Mine is: Be a good dog and have a poop”. You will appreciate this when your pup gets to shore and you want them to go in that special spot, or just before they get on the boat, or when you let it out just before bed. Who wants to stand in the bitter cold waiting for your dog to do its thing?
My lab sleeps from 700 pm until 700 am. If you get your dog to go before getting on the boat and don’t feed it while on the boat (just water) you won’t have an issue once she is trained.
My philosophy is simple: “ Don’t let that pup ever do something you don’t want it to do.” If you don’t want it jumping on people, don’t let it start. She does something wrong, kennel her for a bit. They get the message without harsh punishment. They want to please you.
An area where the pup can go out of the sun on your boat is also a good idea.
One can teach these labs anything. Have fun.
Thank you

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks