Doe Patrol

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Thanks to Slancy for driving the side by side
Backing it up as I guided the doe between the trees to get her out of the gully.

Waiting on a nice Buck but we have 4 tags to fill
She’s a nice eater.

She was standing directly broad side 25 yards from the box stand right as I was about to shoot she turned and was going to walk away from me so I squeezed the trigger and got her on a sharp quartering away shot. Barely went 20 yards but managed to get to the bottom of the hill in a nice little ditch

IMG_4148.jpeg

IMG_4143.jpeg

IMG_4141.jpeg

That's a nice tasty looking one. I'm jealous. Other than a couple packs of sausage my kids have cleaned out every speck of last years deer meat. I probably won't see my stand for another week. Took a trip to Superior for Steelhead and Coho's with one of my kids. It's taken a toll on my early season deer hunting. I have a nice new stand set up at a crossing point between a beanfield and some corn that I'm eager to sit in.

That's a nice tasty looking one. I'm jealous. Other than a couple packs of sausage my kids have cleaned out every speck of last years deer meat. I probably won't see my stand for another week. Took a trip to Superior for Steelhead and Coho's with one of my kids. It's taken a toll on my early season deer hunting. I have a nice new stand set up at a crossing point between a beanfield and some corn that I'm eager to sit in.
That fishing trip sounds pretty sweet tho 👍
And in a couple of weeks the big boys will start cruisin
We always get new mature bucks on camera the last few days of October
I can’t wait for some Deer steaks haha im
Bbqing as soon as she’s ready

Yep your right, I’ve got 2 days planned for the 30th and 31st and several stands depending on wind. Although I’m pretty much just a meat hunter, but I won’t turn my nose up at a nice buck! Trip was good, scenery awesome as always!

Not sure how well it works on a mature buck
But I bought this skunk oil stuff from cabelas in Michigan
The doe definitely smelled it but didn’t know what to think. Either way she never smelled my human scent. I give the product a two 👍

I don’t have a photo of the bottle I bought but I haven’t been able to find it in Canada anywhere.. if anyone finds some or knows of where to get it let me know.
I left the stuff at the farm in the barn because it is wretched god awful smell the leaks threw zip lock bags
I even put it in the grey food storage bags that is suppsoe to block all smells
I had to use two of them to cover the smell up. But now that the package is open it will not be coming back into my house hahaha

Jeezus…. I don’t know that I’d go with skunk oil LOL. Near rut time I put tinks 69 doe in heat on my boots for the walk out. I’ve watched deer cover 200 yards nose down smelling my trail. I’ve never seen da thirty point buck do that, but maybe one day. Other than that I just hope the wind is right and I store my outer clothes in a Rubbermaid with some cedar bows. I mean can’t argue with your success but dang skunk oil LOL.

Jeezus…. I don’t know that I’d go with skunk oil LOL. Near rut time I put tinks 69 doe in heat on my boots for the walk out. I’ve watched deer cover 200 yards nose down smelling my trail. I’ve never seen da thirty point buck do that, but maybe one day. Other than that I just hope the wind is right and I store my outer clothes in a Rubbermaid with some cedar bows. I mean can’t argue with your success but dang skunk oil LOL.
I didn’t put the oil on me just in one of those orange scent bottles with the wick..
wind wasn’t the best where I was sitting last night but I knew that’s where all the deer have been coming out so did what I had to do lol

I usually spray doe pee on the bottom of my boots but I’m all out need to pick some up.

I like the idea of storing camo in a tote with some cedar

If there is a beef feedlot or cattle farm near your hunting area, just ask the farmer if you can scoop a 1/2 pail of older dried poop. I have it on the ground wherever I park and walk in and GENTLY rub my soles on it each trip in. It's a smell deer are all familiar with in my area.
Back in the days when I used to trap a few foxes my mentor told me that skunk scent was a warning bell to other critters. Why else would they spray if not in danger. Puts them on a higher alert.

If there is a beef feedlot or cattle farm near your hunting area, just ask the farmer if you can scoop a 1/2 pail of older dried poop. I have it on the ground wherever I park and walk in and GENTLY rub my soles on it each trip in. It's a smell deer are all familiar with in my area.
Back in the days when I used to trap a few foxes my mentor told me that skunk scent was a warning bell to other critters. Why else would they spray if not in danger. Puts them on a higher alert.
She did seem to be on alert I’m just glad she didn’t smell
I think without a cover scent they would of smelled me well before they gave me a shot.
They were poking around in some cover to the side of the tree stand for a good 5-10min before she come out in the open

Reactions: GPS
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks