Off Topic Dipsy's or Jet Divers

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I seem to have a hard time getting the dipsy's to release and when they do I can't really tell. True I don't use them often enough, but what are opinions on Jet Divers instead. Should I just use a 3-4 ounce inline weight and keep it simple? Usually dragging harnesses or spoons.

thanks in advance

Dipsy divers
Practice with them
You can tighten and loosen the grip with screw driver

make sure you have them going out the proper side of the boat

L = port side
R = starboard side

3 setting furthest from the boat
0 straight down

Sometimes I can’t tell if it’s released usually when there is a big fish on and it’s already

or when I have the screw too tight..
it doesn’t take much of a turn on the screw to loosen it up a touch.

a quick jerk should release the dipsy.. and it should be obv it’s tripped by the pull on the rod tip.

I like Jets too. They're nice in that as soon as a lot of weight is placed on the leader they straighten out and stop trying to dive, so a release mechanism is unnecessary. They just don't really dive as deep as dipseys and don't go out to the side. They can be run behind planer boards though, but this is arguably more of a PITA than just using dipseys.

Just a different tool for the job. They have their ups and downs.

These are different toys. Some prefer one over another. I find dipsies simpler to use with less hassle and more efficient.

Both are fine. I like jets off my boards but can’t use deep diving cranks off them. Great for small med spoons. My favourite spread is Dipsy off the boat on 3 setting and 1 lead on each side with a jet or 2 in between. Easy to read the jets too off the rods ans don’t have to crank in miles of lines.
Good luck

If your dipseys are not tripping after loosening the tension screw your may have to sand/polish a small amount of material from the gap. Be very careful not to remove to much tho. I have mine to a point that they never trip when down but if I pull my cannon rod holder up the diver releases and most fish will release them when hit.

Tried divers, they seem to roll over for me which is no good.

Dipsys are my go to on braid. Set light they trip on everything except for the lightest of hit.

Learning what the rod looks like and acts with no fish, the hit and dragging a fish makes them a quick reliable method for fishing.

Always in the water every trip out.

Are you using braid or mono? when I first tried dipsey I used mono and couldn't get them to trip for the life of me. switched to baid and they will trip real easy now.
I use nothing but braid merc-man, even for the leader.

Thank you very much everyone, sounds like I should stick with my dipsys and just spend more time on the water fussing with the tension and getting more familiar with the rod tips.

I can always count on great information here, thanks again.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks