Dipsy Setup

hawgseeker

Do you usually use 2 or 3 ball bearing swivels for each dipsy rod setup?

I use a snubber that has a swivel attached to the dipsy and 2 good quality swivel on the florocarbon leader. So 2 of mine and the one on the snubber.

3. 1 XL at end of line. This is for the front of dipsy. Than I have pretied leads with another XL to rear of dipsy, my leader length and terminated at a small size torpedo swivel which will go to lure. I dont like driving boat with rigged dipsy rods so this makes things super quick to setup or get back in action the rare time a big smash causes havoc on my dipsy leader. I use old Drennan flouro leader dispensers to pre-tie and store all my dipsy leaders

You can get away with one swivel depending if you like retying knots when changing. I run 7 foot leads from the dipsy to the lure. A good ball bearing swivel / clasp on the lure end of that lead. Avoid line twist from the dipsy to the lure. The dipsy doesn't spin - so no swivel there needed.

Practice trying good knots, buying replacement terminal tackle and lures in bulk is not a cost effective fishing solution. :oops::eek::banghead::banghead::( 🌻

6lb bow isn’t the same as a 6lb walleye, snubbers are a must if you ask me - which you didn’t lol. Hell I’ve been broke off by musky hitting the dipsy instead of the presentation. Depends where you fish and what you like to do. Loss of gear means your trying to figure out your spot and fishing instead of listening. Cheers man

I am tempted to take off the snubber as well but friends have had break off from the kings without snubbers. Last summer I had a huge hit that broke me off even with the snubber. I think I had a knick on the florocarbon so I should replace it once in a while. Those kings do hammer the bait at full speed.

The dream weaver ones are less elastic compare to the lure Jansen ones so I think it has better hook ups.

Attachments

• 245614F7-DA1C-49A7-BDC4-03CBB2FCA46A.png
    245614F7-DA1C-49A7-BDC4-03CBB2FCA46A.png
    201 KB · Views: 20
I am tempted to take off the snubber as well but friends have had break off from the kings without snubbers. Last summer I had a huge hit that broke me off even with the snubber. I think I had a knick on the florocarbon so I should replace it once in a while. Those kings do hammer the bait at full speed.

I replaced a "new that day" leader after the first fish, a Rainbow hit that rod and absolutely destroyed it.

Amazed it survived that one fight. Landed it all wrapped up in the leader. 🌻

The dream weaver ones are less elastic compare to the lure Jansen ones so I think it has better hook ups.

I usually try to get down to Grimsby and pick some snubbers up from them each year.

No concrete reason other than price and they work just fine for me. 🌻

Not sure what you meant, but the dipsy itself has a barrel swivel, and the business end usually has a very high-quality ball-bearing swivel, and so, there is no need in anything extra. Beginning last year I stopped using snubbers on size 1 and this year I took them off mags as well.

We've landed 12 -16 lb bows on 7 foot 25 lb leader - no snubbers with success. Off the dipsy. - Tie good knots though.
Alpha fish of Erie - off the down rigger is even better. Nothing weighing them down.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks