Dipsy settings??

tow-mo

Hey everyone, just got a new boat last year that's big enough for the lake and am just getting into fishing with dipsy's and jet divers. I have little experience using either but have been reading lots of stuff online but still have some ???? . Lots of articles saying to check and adjust the release on them, was just wondering how to check and what to set them at?? Also what speeds would you suggest for walleye??? Any other tips or hints for dipsy's or jet divers would be great. Thx

There is no set formula for setting the release. You should be using some type of no stretch line or wire to the Dipsy. I use 30 pound test Power Pro but alternatives are perfectly acceptable. Typically we get more action on wire lines but I'm not sure why. The correct setting on the release will allow you to get it to release with a brisk tug. It should also release when a decent fish bites. It is fairly normal to drag a perch when fishing a worm harness but not a typical walleye. Trolling speed of 2.5 MPH is a good starting point. If using worm harnesses 1.5 MPH is often better and 3.0 can often be best for spoons, especially using Jet Divers.

#1 setting will cause the dipsey to track straight behind the boat or off the planner board line, we use #3 setting to cause the lure to get away from the boat, furthest out to the side.Carry a flat screw driver to adjust the tension setting and a phillips to adjust the setting that the dipsey will drag behind the boat.

Blastr

Use a spring scale and set your Dipseys to release at a pound and a quarter ,trolling speed with spoons or crank baits varies hour by hour and depends on the direction anywhere from 2.5 to 3.3

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks