Dipsy colour?

misty river

What is your favourite go to dipsy colour ?
Size?
Length of line to lure ?
Snubber or no snubber ?
I want to add some to the tackle bag and looking for advice

Thanks guys

@misty river , I'm paying more attention this year on details to see if there is a any consistency.

You've seen my collection of dipsys less 2 copper and a black, all are size 1. The other box had true trip divers and a few smaller dipsys, yet to get wet.

Yesterday, purple dipsy, purple greasy chicken out fished all other lines, but it was a dipsy on 3 as well.

Leader, as far as my arms out stretch side to side, line across my chest.

Snubber? Yes.

The length of the dipsey/snubber/leader gets really awkward if it is much longer than the pole your using.
Wonder bread dipsey was a great producer last year. Black is always my go to for a couple poles. Yesterday a purple dipsey with purple chicken wing spoon back 110/3 was very good. Wednesday it was a black dipsey with a Michigan stinger watermelon spoon that did most damage.

Rod length is critical also. If you plan on running mutiple dipseys on one side of the boat (very common). I use 9’ poles in a ratcheting berts holder for the outside dipsey and 8’6” for the inside dipsey in a track mounted salty. Gives me about 12” difference in length. I find it helps me keep things organized. I run wire for the outside rods and braid on the inside.

Size 0 for high in the water column. Number 1 for deeper fishing. I run my 0's on braid for pickerel and can use much lighter rods so it's more fun. I tend to use the 1's on wire rods for salmon but I do keep one heavier action rod and reel with braid if the pickerel are deeper and the bigger dipsey is needed. Don't worry to much about length of lead. You can grab the leader, drop the Rod and hand bomb picks into the net quite easily if need be. Can be done with salmon also, just harder. I tend to use 2 colours of dipsey. Black, and clear. I don't use snubbers at all.

Size?
Length of line to lure ?
Snubber or no snubber ?

Thanks guys
Black dipsy for me. Copper and chrome?. 20lb fluoro 5-6ft. No snubs. I always remove that outer ring on size0 and leave it on the size1s. #0 dipsy will dive plenty fast deep without the ring.

Black dipsy for me. Copper and chrome?. 20lb fluoro 5-6ft. No snubs. I always remove that outer ring on size0 and leave it on the size1s. #0 dipsy will dive plenty fast deep without the ring.
HAHAHA! Sorry. #1 will dive plenty fast and deep without the ring . not #0.

Size?
Length of line to lure ?
Snubber or no snubber ?

Thanks guys
I use nothing but copper on Lake Erie. Works well for me. I do not use a snubber when walleye fishing. Although I have paid the price when a rainbow hits it. As for length no loner that your rod length. I use floracarbon leaders Hope this helps.

Black #1's on 3's been the most consistent for me this year. 20# fluro leader 6-8'. Have snubbers on still from Salmon fishing and previous years when big 'bows were more frequent out of Burwell.

IMG_20180704_1620415~2.jpg

Last edited:
All my dipsys are #1's and chartreuse. I tend to stick with a wingspan length of 20lb flouro for my leader. I've never owned a snubber to use lol

I asked a similar question last year. I coloured my green #1’s black and added a clear snubber. Been my most consistent setup since.

Purple, blueberry muffin,and any of the UV dipsys. Fluorocarbon leaders and dream weaver snubbers for extra shock absorbing on big Walleye and trout.

I lose very few fish near the boat anymore with the snubbers on. They might decrease the hook pull through and wearing a bigger hole where the hooks in on the reel in?

I think I'm close to majority of replies....so not sure if it will help any
My best colour on Erie have been a black walker deep diver 107 mmm and a purple dipsy with black ring
Both got lost early last season
I have been using metallic purple and pink deeper divers and a yellow tiger with good success now
I bought a black torpedo diver same size as walker (which is no longer makes deeper divers)....the torpedo diver doesn't have same shape of weight ànd feels lighter and doesn't seem to go as far away from boat as my others do...but sure will catch fish anyway
I use same divers for salmon ...so all have snubbers20180709_184547.jpg

What nobody has mentioned yet is matching you bait/lure to the dipsey colour.
To me this makes a big difference.
On last Sat I used a firetiger dipsey with a light green worm harness.
It was by far the best producer on the boat.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks