Off Topic Dipsey settings

Schmick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Looking for a dipsey guru that can explain to me how I can have 2 #1 dipseys set on 3 and have 1 able to go 125’ and beyond with no issue, while the other starts bouncing and tugging when it gets below 105’ no matter which way I’m trolling?? It’s the strangest thing as you’d swear it’s getting hit the way it bounces. It seems to tug harder than the other as well but I don’t have matching rods on them. It has actually come up with mud on the O ring in 55 fow back 110’. Maybe a manufacturing defect on the dive angle?

Haha no… but excellent deductive reasoning! Both identical Convector reels.

Had to throw that out there .
Happened to us once using a back up rod and reel . Couldn't figure out what was going on then the next morning I woke up and then it hit me .

Are the dipsys and weights the same, or is one a magnum, slightly larger diameter but a significantly heavier weight?

Are the dipsys and weights the same, or is one a magnum, slightly larger diameter but a significantly heavier weight?
Both #1. I have a magnum but that prick can nearly sink the boat! Maybe thinner braid?

To Spincast’s point, I have never switched settings and ran it on port side. I’ll have to try it out next time. Thanks all

Are both your reels calibrated

And do they have some lb line ??
I don’t monitor which reel goes on which dipsey so law of averages is I’ve had both at some point this season. The lines were both wrapped at Bill’s when I bought the reels early this season. It’s a real mystery. I will try switching the weight and running opposite sides

I have blue line for Port side and green line for starboard that way same rods go on same side everytime. And easier when I’m scrambling getting everything together I don’t have to check bottom of dipsys for side and setting.
same rod same dipsy same setting same rod holder every trip.

I’m not 100% sure this would cause your issue but I had set screw come loose on bottom of dipsy last year so the weight could spin
So if you’re letting out line thinking it’s on 3 setting but it slides down to 1 or 0 setting that amount of line could put you dragging the bottom.

When I had that set screw issue it got so loose it would just spin as it was going and was causing the rod to bounce

But if it’s just loose enough that it doesn’t spin but just move your setting a bit it wouldn’t roll the dipsy

Last edited:
Ok so clearly more organization required on my part! These are likely the details that make the difference between limits and just (in my opinion) great days on the water with 10 fish in the boat. The extra 10% that makes the difference. Thanks very much for all the great advise guys.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks