Dipsey reel/rod advice

AC7

Hey All
Im sure this topic has been brought up a bunch but I am looking to buy an average to slightly above average Dipsy reel and rod.
Any recommendations on brands/models would be appreciated
Thanks!

My advice is to head to your favourite tackle shop and put them in your hands... It also depends if its going to be a mono, braid or wire dipsey rod... My two favourite stores that have quite a few options are Angling Outfitters in Woodstock and Grimsby Tackle in Grimsby...

Personally I still use old Quantum Affinity rods for my wire divers (10') and a new series of Rapala for my braid (9')... I'm pretty sure you can use just about any medium down rigger rod for a mono diver...

Two diver rod brands that have caught my eye lately are the FISHUSA Flagship series and the Streamside series...

Use a quality 30 series line counter reel with a smooth drag and your all set...

I like the okuma cold water reels for dipsies, mine are paired up with okuma blue diamonds rods- which I think are discontinued now. But I’m very happy with the set up.

On the cheaper side Penn Warfare reels with Shimano TDR and Daiwa Accudepth rods have been good to me. Have bought, sold and tried a lot of other stuff that I always found something to dislike

Definitely use dipsey rods and not rigger rods. Rigger rods don’t have the backbone to pop the dipsey. I used braid on rigger rods last year pulling dipsey and wasn’t fun popping them.

I use Penn 20 Fathom 2 line counter reels on Rapala 10'6" Magnum dipsy rods. A little pricey but are terrific and with proper maintenance no doubt should last a lifetime.

Rapala magnum is a fantastic rod but I lost an insert from the guide and did not notice it, and it resulted in weakening the braid to the point I could break a 25 lb powerpro with bare hands. It costed me 2 dipsies with spoons before I figured out what happened. Switched to Shimano Talora dipsy rod and it is also a nice rod. I have Okuma Convergence on both dipsy reels and have no issues with drag.

If you are on a budget, save $$$ of rods, spend $$$ on reels - buy the cheapest rod you can fing (Daiwa Wilterness 9ft MH would do) but for reel don't go below Okuma Cold Water or Penn Squall or Shimano Tekota.

This is my current dipsy spread.

2 Okuma Magda MA 45DXTs on Rapala Delta rods

2 Okuma Magda PRO MA 30DXs on Daiwa Wilderness rods

2 Okuma PRO 20 DXs on Daiwa Wilderness

These are matched across from each other on the boat.

You don't need the best money can buy to catch fish, and trust me on that. I can't afford the best money can buy and the boat is successful. 🌻

Wire dipsy setups are becoming more and more popular on Lake Erie so I have been told due to the hum the wire does in the water. I used wire for my dipseys on Ontario all year long as the season progresses the water fleas rear their ugliness.

I use the Okuma Convector with Okuma cooper rod. 7 stand Torpedo wire but would like to try the 19 stand next year. For divers. I have the dream weaver size 4 and 5. Started using the slide diver this spring and love it. Can't wait to use it solo in the summer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks