Detroit river

Black Baron

Is anyone hitting the detroit river this weekend ? Let us know

Was there yesterday. Fair smount of boats, visibility about 1.5ft closer to shore, Much more to the middle. Temp 40.8 in the morning, 40.3 by 3 pm. Not a lot of fish and it slowed down by 11:30 am. It was cold;)

Was there yesterday. Fair smount of boats, visibility about 1.5ft closer to shore, Much more to the middle. Temp 40.8 in the morning, 40.3 by 3 pm. Not a lot of fish and it slowed down by 11:30 am. It was cold;)
thanks Centerspin I guess another couple of weeks is needed

Anyone out there this weekend ? I am planing on the 4 hour journey from Toronto this Saturday love to hear some reports.
I was wondering on should I get Michigan fishing licence ?

Sorry , haven't got an updated report for you but keep in mind there is a 150 boat tourny there thus weekend out of Michigan . Restricted to the river only plus the usual weekend crowd . Michigan license on line for $ 11.00 / day if you choose

Anyone out there this weekend ? I am planing on the 4 hour journey from Toronto this Saturday love to hear some reports.
I was wondering on should I get Michigan fishing licence ?
You can buy the Michigan daily license online any moment off your phone if you decide that you need it. They send you a PDF right away

Was on the water by 6am Saturday and idled out. Hundreds of boats already drifting south of the Gordie Howe bridge. We caught 50 plus and called it a day around 2pm.

LOTS of fish on the CDN side but water was very dirty, hugged the dirty line all the way over the US shore and got bit at every depth.

We're heading there tomorrow, a US license is not really necessary since all the Americans are fishing on our side anyway... If the water gets super muddy on our side sometimes you need to go to the US but most of the time the fishing is better on our side . Will let you know how we make out later tomorrow.

Tons of fish in the river right now, we went to three of our usual areas and all had fish. We started looking for some eaters and got 18 or so 17-20" fish at the North end of fighting Island and also mid-river at the Gordie Howe Bridge. Conditions were perfect until around 11am when a strong south wind kicked up driving many people off the river. We headed up to some shallow areas near shore at the
Ambassador to get out of the wind and found a nice school of bigger fish and got our last 6 that were all around 24" or so. Ended up with our 4 man limit and threw quite a few 15-16" fish back. The water is quite clear (too clear) on the US side but the Canadian side has just a nice stain to it & is 42-43°F. Everyone was fishing on our side pretty much. Yellows and greens seems to do best but pretty well everything will catch right now. We had a long, wet ride back down the river in big winds and rolling waves but were in by 2:00 with our fish all cleaned and bagged to head back home.

1712702593576.jpegPXL_20240409_172355489.jpgPXL_20240409_172501474.jpg

Last edited:
Since this thread keeps on going. We went today 7:30am to 2:30 pm. 4 man limit of nice keepers short of one fish by 12:30. Decided to move to the place G.Mech mentioned. Finished the limit there and been releasing pretty decent fish till 1:30 pm when we called it quits. Really odd colors worked. Seen a lot of US fishermen jigging two rods fishing our side, but whatever. Done with Detroit, very happy with the way it went this year.

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_144313.jpg
    IMG_20240410_144313.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Since this thread keeps on going. We went today 7:30am to 2:30 pm. 4 man limit of nice keepers short of one fish by 12:30. Decided to move to the place GPS mentioned. Finished the limit there and been releasing pretty decent fish till 1:30 pm when we called it quits. Really odd colors worked. Seen a lot of US fishermen jigging two rods fishing our side, but whatever. Done with Detroit, very happy with the way it went this year.
Two rods are allowed now aren’t they?

If I fished the river all weekend and caught 6 today and 6 Saturday can I leave Sunday with 12?

I believe it's a one day limit of possession if not mistaken ????... you may get into some trouble if you are unlucky enough.

If I fished the river all weekend and caught 6 today and 6 Saturday can I leave Sunday with 12?
Only if you re a Michigan resident. Their possession limit is 18. They can also use three rods if they figure out how to jig all three at once :) But daily limit is still 6.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks