Detroit River Walleye

Ingold Archery

How do you fish for them? Want to go down easter weekend (never been) and was wondering how you fish and with what method do you fish? Also, how deep of water is the average depth that you fish in?

brad, the average depth is from 15 to 35' with a 4 mph current. you need light line with a stiff rod to set the hook on a 3/4 oz. to 1 oz. jig head. people use minnows on a finesse worm early in the season until about 45 degrees water temp. you need to either back troll or use an electric motor to slow your drift. you have to be vertical . a MI licence is also a must, just in case the water is too dirty on our side of the river.

Blastr

kyle Moxon is a pretty good guide as well. Dont let not having a bowmount stop you from going. The lasalle salt plant has some slower water that you can drift through and still catch fish. You will not catch as many as the guys with bow mounts however, you will still catch fish. You can also slow troll stick baits on the bottom same way the old timers would hand line the river.

I have heard good things about this guy.

Attachments

• 12745613_1680904452191706_4863474912649780315_n.jpg
    12745613_1680904452191706_4863474912649780315_n.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 42
Dont let not having a bowmount stop you from going. The lasalle salt plant has some slower water that you can drift through and still catch fish. You will not catch as many as the guys with bow mounts however, you will still catch fish.

I'm not sure how you could drift downstream at 3 mph, keep your jig vertical, and avoid the hundreds of other boats with bow mounts who are drifting at 1.5 mph....sounds a little scary to me.

Anyway, water temp is coming up nicely and is currently around 41-42 deg F. If this wind doesn't muddy things up it should be game on for the big girls! Boat and gear is all ready to go this weekend if the weather holds.

You could try this guy, he's fairly new but I've heard he is pretty good (nowhere near as good a Big Rod but pretty good...:)):

Ian Jones
Email - IannJoness@gmail.com
Phone - 226-626-0618
http://www.FishLSC.com
Thanks for recommending me!
Yes i am running walleye jigging charters on the D full time this spring. I very few dates left in April and have more dates open in May. Anyone from the forum who's looking to book a trip i will give a discount to, contact me by email or my website.

Wont be long before it starts to heat up!!

First walleye of the 2016 for my boat!
EE7O0Pb.png

Ian Jones
http://www.FishLSC.com

I'm not sure how you could drift downstream at 3 mph, keep your jig vertical, and avoid the hundreds of other boats with bow mounts who are drifting at 1.5 mph....sounds a little scary to me.

Anyway, water temp is coming up nicely and is currently around 41-42 deg F. If this wind doesn't muddy things up it should be game on for the big girls! Boat and gear is all ready to go this weekend if the weather holds.
I have been fishing that river for 25 years, i can confidently say you can catch fish without a bow mount.

I have been fishing that river for 25 years, i can confidently say you can catch fish without a bow mount.

I don't doubt you can catch fish but when there's a huge pack of boats how do you avoid banging into them when you are unpowered?

I'm interested in trying out the DR this upcoming weekend, but will be the first time. Can you guys help me out on where some of the launch ramps are? Thanks.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks