Deep Fried

can't miss

Cooked up my last perch feed yesterday, great feed, but sad day, hope soft water bite start's soon. Real soon?
As we have aged, we watch our deep fry intake, but also occasionally treat ourselves.
Fave is lightly battered cooked in tender flake lard, but probably not all that health wise. We have used veg oil, canola, corn, sunflower, anything you can squeeze oil from.
Out of cook oil yesterday so we picked up a real cheap brand, uncle billy's, rodeo Sam's, name isn't important, it was bad?? Barely got warm and smelled? Drained it and melted tender flake, meal was great?
What oil does everyone else use?

Whatever is in the cupboard I think it's Unico, or no name vegetable oil at the moment

The wife cooked up our last batch out of the freezer on Saturday. sad sad day indeed :cry:

Whatever is in the cupboard I think it's Unico, or no name vegetable oil at the moment

The wife cooked up our last batch out of the freezer on Saturday. sad sad day indeed :cry:

There's so many perch in at Port Glasgow they're coming up the kitchen drains.:) Seriously, I think the perch will arrive early this year after the mild winter. Hopefully by the middle of May in the Central Basin. I was at Port Glasgow yesterday and there's swarms of emerald shiners in already.

perch009.jpg

I use the 5 ltr jugs of canola also from Costco. I'm having my annual Good Friday perch fry this week for 16 friends and family.
We use it once and toss it out. Certain oils go rancid after a short time of being opened. Why spoil good perch with bad oil?

Lesson learned here, have always used store brand or name brand, whatever was on sale at the time, never a problem. The oil I mentioned at the top here was bought at a discount store, cheap, and carrying a name never heard of? As soon as the oil started to get hot, no fish in it yet, the smell started? Hard to describe, not a rancid smell, more a chemical, industrial, aroma? More like something you would clean a carburetor with?
No where on the jug had a ingredient list, or where it originated from. In the tiniest print was a " packaged for " name I,ve never heard of, and a 1-800 # for more info. Guess what? No answer?
Now have a pound of name brand lard, and a jug of name brand oil ready and waiting, NOW, bring on the perch!!!

Lesson learned here, have always used store brand or name brand, whatever was on sale at the time, never a problem. The oil I mentioned at the top here was bought at a discount store, cheap, and carrying a name never heard of? As soon as the oil started to get hot, no fish in it yet, the smell started? Hard to describe, not a rancid smell, more a chemical, industrial, aroma? More like something you would clean a carburetor with?
No where on the jug had a ingredient list, or where it originated from. In the tiniest print was a " packaged for " name I,ve never heard of, and a 1-800 # for more info. Guess what? No answer?
Now have a pound of name brand lard, and a jug of name brand oil ready and waiting, NOW, bring on the perch!!!

That sounds really sketchy!
No ingredients list???
Don't think that's even legal to sell for human consumption lol

Like everyone I love the deep fried goodness but health wise it is now just a treat. Unfortunately I tend to gorge myself till I can't eat another bite {till next time}. I have used shake and bake for seafood and cook perch/walleye in oven and it taste very nice , almost as good as deep frying. Tough too find it though.

I try to keep things natural we don't eat out of a deep fryer a lot but when we do it is straight lard I find it performes the best and for fries flavour and crispness is the best with lard and really how much healthier is a highly manufactured oil over a natural product like lard . Also the lard I use I render down myself.

Last edited:
@Leftys Buoy and @Moose man I try to deep fry as much as I can, but my wife has to put her foot down and demand me to bake some fish for my health reasons. When we bake them in the oven, here's a good fish coating to use.
Shake fillets in flour, then in an egg wash seasoned with salt and pepper, then rolled in Panko.
On a cooking sheet with parchment paper lightly brushed with Olive oil lay the coated fillets. At this stage you can have all the fillets prepared and kept in the fridge prior to cooking. Preheat oven to 350 ° drizzle lightly Olive oil on fillets cook approx. 10 min on one side then flip and another 10 min. Fillet thickness may vary cooking time.

Panko bakes well. Pack the crumbs onto the fish or meat with your hands. A small amount of oil on the parchment paper makes a world of difference to brown it. Chicken pieces come out like fried. I prefer 375F temp after many years of playing around baking meat/fish in a gas oven. Gas isn't as stable as electric for baking.

I find peanut oil cooks fish the best. My parents use to have fish fries up at Rice Lake and their neighbor worked for Planters. He supplied the oil and fryers, we did the cooking. He convinced us on the peanut oil and That's all I use now.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks