Damn sheepshead, massive and useless

PEI Guy

Was hoping it was a massive smb but a sheepshead I guess. Dang it !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Beautiful day on LSC looking for eyes. Found some, but landed this monster small mouth bass. Put her back quickly after a pic with my size 10.5 show. She was massive and her belly is extended with eggs. Beautiful old breader gal.

That is a fresh water drum, more commonly referred to as a sheephead. But it is a bigger one, and they do tend to put up a good fight. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren't useless when you consider there are times when sheephead might be all you catch (it happens) and you can rightfully claim at least you didn't get skunked, and like I said, they do put up a good fight. I caught that one in the picture last year off the pier in Pt Bruce, and many like it or bigger over the years and of course the smaller ones. They all fought the same. Picture a small child catching them that big, it certainly would make their day,and seeing that kind of excitement from a child over a fish most people don't want would put a smile on a lot of faces.

Attachments

• Pt Bruce Sheephead May 22 2017.jpg
    Pt Bruce Sheephead May 22 2017.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 76
Years ago I went to a bar in Port Stanley to meet a a friend for some suds. He had some smoked Sheephead which I had for the first time. My friend use to Smoke Rainbow and other fish for the Commercial Fishermen. I found that Sheephead didn't taste (being smoked) any different than any other type of fish. For those of you that do Smoke Fish, give it a try.

I caught a monster farm animal today out of burwell on my perching outfit and what a fight it put up!! It had me giggling like a school girl ???

I believe it. Even tho 9 out of 10 times you know exactly what you hooked into when you hook into one of'em, and you're probably generally annoyed they took your minnow, when you sink the hook into a real big one, it's fun, especially if that's all you're getting on that particular day.

It was by far the highlight of my day today with the perch bite being as slow as it was.

Kept one that was hooked bad when I was a kid. Harvested the "lucky stone" from its head & tried eating the fillets..... I agree with @Wave Runner ,they taste like feet and ass :yuck:[/QUOTE

Ummmm, EV, never tried one, never will. But the more pressing concern is, eating feet and ass? I assume you are not referring to that fancy gourmet dish chicken feet, nor are you referring to the ever popular rump roast, but something a little more...........unsavory :LOL:

Apparently the Fish Place at Bradfields used to sell them smoked back in the 80's. Smoked them with corn cobs, supposedly weren't bad?

I never mind hooking into a sheephead! They fight hard for a minute and then you drag them in like a log. Good fun! I don't do much downrigging but they do get hard on the arm if you're reeling them in constantly that way.

I've harvested the odd small one for the smoker. They don't taste bad to me, but maybe I'm just blessed with taste buds that aren't picky.

A lodge owner on the West Arm of Lake Nipissing gave me shit for tossing one back. Asked me to keep another if I got one; so I did?
That night he shows up, at the cottage with a pot of chowder made from the sheephead. I'm sorry but it teased amazing; potatoes, celery, carrots all mixed in this cream sauce. The meat had a great texture and flavor. You'd swear it had to be another sport fish "because no one eats drum". LOL

Dan.

I have enjoyed eating drum as well and my kids are never upset when they catch one. Makes their day everytime.... I think they are most excited when they catch one....lol. Me I just love catching fish, don't care what it is.

Me I just love catching fish, don't care what it is.

I agree TMAN. Even though I won't and don't bring home certain species, it doesn't matter what it is that I catch, a fish is a fish and even if all I catch on any given day are sheephead or other "undesirables," if that's all you're catching that day, it's still fun, it's still a nice day out, and you weren't skunked.

I've seen guys on the pier who will show up and if they haven't caught anything within half an hour or all they've caught are a couple sheephead, they'll leave. They have no patience. (My 25 yr old son is like that too. If he's not catching, he gets bored very quickly and wants to leave.) All they want are the perch or if they're lucky maybe a walleye or rainbow, (that's what we're all after) but they never stick around long enough if the bite isn't hot and heavy as soon as they arrive, to get them, and then b*#&ch and complain about how well others have done hours later when they come back and they've missed the bite.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks