Off Topic Cutting Board

rockin-steelhead

Hey 68 members,

Thought I’d share my latest purchase for the board. I had a cutting board made from Fishing Custom Solutions and picked it up today and cannot wait to use it for the first time. Will fit into two rod holders. Will look at adding a wash down pump next.

Attachments

• IMG_5869.jpeg
    IMG_5869.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5870.jpeg
    IMG_5870.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 132
I like it!
Only concern I would have is that the fasteners can be bacteria holders. Dishwasher safe?

It won’t fit in a dishwasher easily
I can wash it down after each use with dawn
For extra safety (chef in me talking) in addition to the dawn, after you've washed it down and rinsed it, use a spray bottle with diluted bleach in it and spray everything (the fasteners and the working surface top and bottom.) and then let it air dry. Dish soap alone doesn't/won't always kill any bacteria that may be present, the bleach (generally) does.

For extra safety (chef in me talking) in addition to the dawn, after you've washed it down and rinsed it, use a spray bottle with diluted bleach in it and spray everything (the fasteners and the working surface top and bottom.) and then let it air dry. Dish soap alone doesn't/won't always kill any bacteria that may be present, the bleach (generally) does.
Glad you mention this Trevor. I have always done this same procedure with my livewells in the boat when done fishing. Bleach/Dawn soap mix then rinse. Good to go!

Fellow food safety nerd here... I'd take a couple screw holes in my own clean board any day versus some of the public fish cleaning stations I've seen 🤣 (not picking on anyone, but there are often posts of beautiful shiny stainless steel left piled with guts) Looks great!

I still haven't figured out how you guys have time to clean fish out there, but then I am usually one adult fishing with kids, no autopilot etc. Do you just stop on the way in? Or is it more like 1 guy fileting, the other guy fishing?

Right on @Trevor M ! One tablespoon of bleach to one gallon of clean/potable water is a proper mix for sterilizing kitchen equipment. Most bleaches that you buy at the store are in the 4% to 5% content range but check the label to make sure. Also don't forget that bleach does have a lifespan and will weaken over time but DO NOT use more than prescribed formula.

I made up my own board a few years back..mounts into one of the flush rod holders on my Trophy Pro. I bought the polyethylene board material in London. It worked well but yours is much nicer!
When Im done fishing, I pack up the rods and riggers, etc, then clean the fish. Once done, I wash the entire cockpit down..mine is self draining...so there's little cleanup at home. The only issue can be if its rough,, balancing and using a fillet knife is not the best idea. Those days its cleaning at the cleaning stations.

That is cool!!!! On my boat, it’s a charcuterie board! We never get fish in the boat.

Sure beats slicing cheese and meats on the lap.

Going to reach out to the manufacturer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks