Crawfish advise

Roger

I have a question for fellow members have any of you folks tried catching and cooking crawfish around here (southern Ontario)my grandkids want to go and try to catch some and cook some im from StThomas and was wondering if it was worth the try and I appreciate any and all tips thanks

yes..and theyre great...but check where you're getting them. From muddy water, contaminated water, etc they can be no good. We used to get them up north in rocky waters..we used modified minnow traps

yes..and theyre great...but check where you're getting them. From muddy water, contaminated water, etc they can be no good. We used to get them up north in rocky waters..we used modified minnow traps
Thanks for the reply I never thought about the contaminated water thing I will definitely keep that tip in mind when setting out are traps and would rocky river bottoms be a better place to start ?

Just FYI It is prohibited to transport crayfish overland in Ontario. *Technically* you would have to catch and eat them on the shore of the waterbody you caught them to be legal. Or just use some common sense and do not dump water or crayfish into another waterbody? Just something to be aware of.

I tried all one summer to catch enough for a meal. It was a hassle that never proved fruitful.

Just FYI It is prohibited to transport crayfish overland in Ontario. *Technically* you would have to catch and eat them on the shore of the waterbody you caught them to be legal. Or just use some common sense and do not dump water or crayfish into another waterbody? Just something to be aware of.

I tried all one summer to catch enough for a meal. It was a hassle that never proved fruitful.
Thanks for the info I was told by an older gentleman that you are only able to transport crayfish across land was that they had to be dispatched before moving on from river or were ever you caught the crayfish from but I will check for myself all local regulations first don't want to get myself or my grandkids in trouble 😉

When I was a lad I used to catch them by the score in the Lynn river in the middle of Simcoe. I never knew they were edible back then but I recall throwing one under the flame of the tar pot trailer at my Uncle Hickory’s when they were doing the roof and marvelling at how it turned bright red like a cooked lobster, lol… simple times back then… easily amused…

I don’t believe there is a difference between alive or dead, they do not want the Rusty crayfish or eggs being introduced to other lakes around the province.
The issue with killing them at the creek is you have to purge them before you eat them, so you need to have them alive to be able to starve them and do a couple water changes before you cook them.

First Mates in Long Point has a crawfish special every Thursday. 👍🏻

Why not try ”first mate” in long point on thursday‘s first to see if they like them!

@Schmick .... Uncle Hickory was that Mr Post ? If so worked on his car and bought at the stand.... yes better times back then.........

Yes, the same. He taught me how to scale perch with a piece of tobacco lath and a beer cap nailed to it! Man was an inspiration to me on how to overcome adversity in life. Never let his condition slow him down for a minute.

I don’t believe there is a difference between alive or dead, they do not want the Rusty crayfish or eggs being introduced to other lakes around the province.
The issue with killing them at the creek is you have to purge them before you eat them, so you need to have them alive to be able to starve them and do a couple water changes before you cook them.

First Mates in Long Point has a crawfish special every Thursday. 👍🏻
Thank you for the info and from what I have been reading you are right and I might try to make it to first mates in longpoint on a Thursday and try some

Can they be used as bait for bass in the same body of water they are caught in or a tributary thereof? Those and leeches used to kill bass in the inner Bay...once upon a time.

When I lived in Kenora I used left over steak or pork chop bones with some meat left on them. I would tie them to the line and drop it down into well known shallow crayfish waters. Real them up covered in crawdads and shake them off into the livewell. Worked well. As a kid down here My dad and I would net them out of the nanticoke creek (river) but I am not sure of that water quality for that purpose. A lot of nitrogen fertilizer likely!!🤮

So this has me curious....and a bit of a throwback to the Beverly Hillbillies tv show (re: Crawdads).

Are you boiling them whole or tails only?

King Joe Outa Here!

So this has me curious....and a bit of a throwback to the Beverly Hillbillies tv show (re: Crawdads).

Are you boiling them whole or tails only?

King Joe Outa Here!
I think I will boil whole that seems to be the way iv seen on you tube 🤔

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks