Coyote hunting

Irish1983

I was wondering what guys do with coyotes after they kill them? I would like to hunt them but I have no idea what to do after I get one, I have no interest in tanning the hide or any of that. Do you just leave them in the bush? Maybe use them for bait? Let me know what you do with them thanks

Cut the tails off and leave them in the bush for the other coyotes to eat, then kill the other yotes over the dead ones.

Or find a trapper and ask if they want the kills for hides. Hides have to be in good shape and likely not full of buckshot holes.

I know there are a lot of them around, but why kill something you aren't eating or taking the pelt from? It just gives all hunters a bad name. They are easy to tan, and good practice for skining. Give t tanned hides to re enactors, or crafters or something, please don't waist them. You may as well cut the antlers off the deer, and toss the meet, as far as the un educated public are concerned.

post your address so the hunters can drop the dead coyotes off at your house...then you can take them in for the bounty money.. some townships pay $100 per coyote..I think you need to register with some townships to be a bounty hunter...

Can't compare yotes to deer!!we want to shoot the yotes to protect and stremghthen the deer heard there are tons out there. can't eat them so that's why I want to contact someone who wants them so they don't just end up in a pile. As for tanning them I have no area to do such a thing or I would try.

Yes Irish the over population of coyotes need to be managed. I do believe the guys that do hunt them are helping to manage the numbers. The best time to hunt coyotes is in January. That when they are packed together at the peak of there mating season. They are a threat to farmers livestock and the farm house. I know this first hand hearing the coyote threats and nuisance from one of the farmers that owns the land where I deer hunt. He told me the coyotes come right up to there rural home in sparta and one day stealing the family dog. This was a small dog and just a snack for the numerous coyotes.

A good spot to pick off the coyotes is out on frozen lake erie...The coyotes are beach combers looking for food. You need to be a good shot with a scoped rifle shooting them from the cliff...sniper shootin. Its to bad I am a snow bird..because I would definatley join in on shootin them. My buddy owns a trailer site on erie west of Tryconnel and does winter camping on the lake, he has seen numerous packs of coyotes down on the lake. He doesn't shoot or own a rifle.

Right on thanks for the info Mick this will be my first year hunting them. I live somewhat close to the reserve so maybe someone on there will take them.

thats great Irish you want to get out there and hunt them...I suggest gettin in on a group if you can..that way you can learn a bit and pick up some tips..I bet the action would be good too... on some days...

I have a 270 WSM and would love to wack a few coyotes with it...it works great for one shot kills with the moose and bear and deer... i did choose it with coyotes in mind as the .270 is legal to shoot down here in the south...I took one shot at a running coyote with my 50 cal. during the controlled deer hunt a few years back but missed um...thats been it for coyote shooting for me...

Got one right between the eyes last year snuck up within 10-15 ft of me deer hunting last year on that 20+ degree day in November.

good shootin Tom...I had a few coyote encounters... one time fishin spring trout 2 coyotes were sneakin right up on me..then at 30 feet we met eye to eye peaking through the foliage and they took off...another time i was walkin out off the trout creek and a coyote is running right for me...omg...so i yelled and screamed at him to finally turn him away...the farm right there were raising sheep..so i figure the coyotes were after them.. feeding

I wasn't comparing coyotes to deer. I was just pointing out that shooting for sport gives the Peta crowd something the complain about. It's like guys who post pictures of 100 dead crows on social media. It just doesn't help the hunting community. Have I shot coyotes on the family farm? Yes generally when they are live traps, or harassing live stock. That being said the hides are always tanned. It just gives the critics one less thing to whine about.

Hey @Irish1983...I was down at the gun range shootin my rifle yesterday gettin ready for huntin. Anyway I was talkin to the manager of our club as he was sighting in another rifle for some nuisance coyotes around his rural property outside Woodstock.
I thought I would pass on some helpful coyote huntin info that works for him. He goes out in the early morning and evening and sits. He calls the coyotes with a shake call. He has been successful getting them to come in for a shot and shooting them. So you might want to try the sitting and calling method...especially if you are huntin by yourself with no dogs. I suggest knock on farmers doors to gain access and ask them if they have nuisance coyotes you can shoot. Then get your self a coyote call and a good pair of binnoculars. Don't forget to zero in your rifle.
I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Wow your serious...good for you...just wondered what you got for a decoy....

thanks for the info Irish...good luck gettin your first coyote! I would like to roll one some day with my 270 wsm...lol

Hey just to mention for you hunters out there... Bushnell has a $30 mail in rebate on most of there optics..good until Oct. 31....I just mailed my rebate in from a recent binnocular purchase...every little bit helps...I have a couple of there trophy model scopes.. Overall I think they work pretty good and offer decent value...you want really high end ...the price is high end

Last edited:
Irish, I picked up a rabbit distress call last yr, had no experience in calling coyotes. It was amazing, (sometimes) how quick coyotes came in, got a couple, missed even more, due to not being ready quick enough after calling. Also found they seemed to get onto you if used call to often in the same place. Early am seemed best.

I found Dec on the best, better sighting do to leaves gone, better yet if we have snow. Have tried earlier in the fall, but with undergrowth still on field edges, they are there and gone. Like I mentioned, when times calling came together here, pretty cool how quick it happened, always be down wind were you think they may be, like deer, they do circle for scent.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks