Coyote Hunting Info

bassaholic

Hey all, I'm in favour of the attitude that thinning the coyote population is good for the area and lestens the impact of them. However explaining this to some nonhunters is fruitless. Therefore can anyone provide me with info or studies on this method, either for or against it? Just looking to be informed on the topic for a good argument to the uninformed non-hunters....although if studies prove me wrong than I will be converted but I still love hunting the bastards lol

Scroll back to bottom pg 7, Shots fires. I posted almost same question, many opinions. Anonymoose added a piece from a Dr Brent Patterson which is very informative

Here's the thread that @can't miss is pointing to:

Ask the non-hunters if they mind having their cat or little foo foo dog disappear ? Or maybe they want their dog to get mange ? Ask them to picture some little bambi getting chased to exhaustion then nipped at until it can barely move then gets torn apart as the yotes eat it alive. ok... maybe not that last one. Explain how expensive it is to a farmer to have a calf dragged out of his barn and killed by the vermin. Never easy trying to explain to those that were brought up on Disney's utopia where all the animals can talk and even live in peace and harmony together. Some may listen as you calmly state your facts and even ask questions as they really don't know anything about hunting but then again some may shriek at you and throw a glass of red wine on you.

I 100% agree @Old Cut LongPointer. It's the same people that love feeding the deer around their home but get mad when the yotes start coming around. You can't choose to have one type of wildlife around your neighbourhood. What does one expect when these "new" neighbourhoods are built up in areas that were once farm fields, bush lots, ravines etc. Its hard to explain hunting to those that see wildlife on TVor through the window....not in the wild as us hunters do and realize real life is tough, the strong survive and the weak get eaten.....tough to hear but that's life.

I think some of the best justification for coyote hunting comes from some of those neighbourhoods @bassaholic... Those coyotes that are numbed to human presence by repeated interactions are the ones that tend to bite someone. A reminder that humans aren't there to play would be great, but those same neighbourhoods usually aren't too discharge-friendly.

For me, I think the only justification needed for coyote hunting is that there is a surplus of animals available and the pelts look good on the wall or around the hood of a fancy jacket. It is a lawful, sustainable hunt.

I don't think the science really supports that we are really controlling their numbers, but I have never seen a fawn get killed by a dead coyote either.

Coyotes have totally eradicated the jackrabbit population in our area and have pushed the fox population in the same direction. There are so may coyotes now, they have pushed themselves into each and every city in Ontario. Outdoor cats and small dogs beware. In our neighborhood, you see signs on telephone poles asking for the whereabouts of their loved pet / reward offered. Back in the day when they were hunted and trapped real hard, they were at least afraid of making any contact with humans. The coyote problem that the city of Stratford has is just a good example of what happens when nothing is done to control the population of coyotes. A coyote attacking a woman in London is also something that will happen when the population is too high. Bottom line, coyotes eat a lot of food. When they run out of food ,they get very hungry and are about to try everything possible to get their next meal.

Coyotes have totally eradicated the jackrabbit population in our area and have pushed the fox population in the same direction. There are so may coyotes now, they have pushed themselves into each and every city in Ontario. Outdoor cats and small dogs beware. In our neighborhood, you see signs on telephone poles asking for the whereabouts of their loved pet / reward offered. Back in the day when they were hunted and trapped real hard, they were at least afraid of making any contact with humans. The coyote problem that the city of Stratford has is just a good example of what happens when nothing is done to control the population of coyotes. A coyote attacking a woman in London is also something that will happen when the population is too high. Bottom line, coyotes eat a lot of food. When they run out of food ,they get very hungry and are about to try everything possible to get their next meal.

In respons to Darton . I grew up in Stratford and for years Stratford and surrounding bigger Cities like Kitchener waterloo and London used to bring unwanted dogs and cats out to the Ellis Swamp and just dump them off . I hunted the Ellis for years as well as in pretty much Perth County . Once there was a drive for Coydog and coyote in the North El;lis where I was hunting that particular day . The end result was 50 dogs inside of about 3 hours and at ;least 1/3 of them were domesticate dogs. Now you may ask what has this got to do with any thing . Well a major problem ws as soon as you release any dog into a swamp or bush like that ,the dog ether gets killed or becomes one of the pack ,and if the dog happens to be Alpha it can and will take over the pack which brings the risk of that pack coming in contact with humans because like all released dogs they are no afraid of humans ,thus coming into the cities . This has been a long known problem if you grew up in the era that I did . I have since moved from Stratford and lived in Goderich for a time and there I know a woman who was walking her two toy poodles along a county road and she was attacked or her dogs were by coyotes and they got one of her dogs , luckily she was able to fight off the coyotes and save herself and one of her dogs . I saw a video not long ago where a coyote was in the city between a couple of buildings and attacked a child . Had it not been for the other several kids that little girl would have been dinner. Yes there is a place for these animals , but not in the numbers that they are at today . I now live in London Not and have gone for walks along the Thames river inside the City and there are signs all over the place warning of the danger of coyotes
Hope this helps explain a bit to a lot of you

Well if all the yuppies didn't keep buying up all the rural land and driving all the housing prices out of reach of once rural folk and their children, and then posting/ not letting people Hunt the land this wouldn't be a problem now would it.

Pick up your gun and change it! If you can find some land to hunt...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks