Coyote Den

can't miss

Was out yesterday looking for the illusive spring " Morel " mushrooms, ( anyone found any yet??), and came across a active coyote den, freshly dug out and plenty of tracks.
Just to be clear, I'm no where near a PETA member, I've hunted for many yrs, I allow a group to hunt coyotes here during the winter months, and have shot them myself if they come near my livestock.
Sure it would be easy to sit at a distance and snipe the adults, knowing the entrance to the den. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but torn here about orphaning, and there for killing the pup's.
I realize it would probably save fawns, turkey poults and such. And if I leave them, I'll probably be cheering the coyote hunting gang here next winter, listening to them on the 2 way, running their hounds, just to get them then.
Any opinions??

Do you have a trail cam? It would be interesting to set one up to see what Momma actually brings for dinner.

It's a delema for sure as there hide is no good now
and it's kinda like shooting fish in a barrel I my self made 2 Less opening morning of turkey (n)
I am all for P.E.T.A.
(people eating tasty animals)(y):D

I like the camera idea. I've had 2 cameras set up since last fall and plan on leaving all
summer so I can see the progression of antler growth. An active den would get 1 camera on it.
Whatever you do, enjoy the moment.

You did the right thing sparing them. I have had to make the same choice. There is just something that feels wrong about killing anything in the spring. I like to wave at them and say see you in the fall bud.

Coyote season is open year round in these parts so whether shooting a nursing female is right or wrong is completely up to the individual and their personal ethics. On one hand people will say that shooting a nursing female is cruel as the pups will starve. However, if you look at it from another perspective you could say that when you shoot one nursing female you're reducing the coyote population by say 5 animals with only one shot which is very beneficial for other wildlife.

I've never targeted them in the spring, but, much like the coyote, I am an opportunistic hunter and will shoot one if the opportunity presents itself.

Had a yote run into the turkey decoys Sunday morning, my buddy didn't hesitate to shoot it, big male. By the looks of the tracks in the field, he'd been chasing the deer and turkeys around all week. Hopefully this takes the pressure of the fawns and poults this spring.

I went morel hunting in a couple of my spots and only found 2 almost seems like they run in a cycle 2 years ago I got lots lat year even less and this year 2 I use an onion bag so the spores can fall and grow next year. Just not sure what's going on I did however already find a bunch of asparagus and a ton of ramps(leeks).

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks