Converting To Electronic Ignition

Leftys Buoy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have a 1990 OMC Seanymph with a 2.3 litre ib/ob. Would like to get a tune up on her and was wondering about converting my ignition system to electronic. Just looking for some input. Thanks! Dave

I also converted a 1986 OMC over to a Pertronix distributor, changed coil, and wires. I had it for a couple years and went back to the original points setup. The problem I found with the setup was that OMC had a device in the ignition circuit that actually killed the spark while shifting from neutral to forward or reverse. The new spark system was so strong that the device could not completely kill the spark and resulted in very hard shifting. After researching the problem I found a fix that had me inserting some resistors into the circuit. That worked, kinda. Like I said before, I converted back after a couple years. I am not sure if your model has the same ignition setup, but something to be aware of.

Leaky

No other changes required although I may have upgraded the wires before the change - don't recall. I also made the change on a 350 Chevy in a '71 corvette. I did not experience the issues Leaky describes above - perhaps the year matters. My OMC was a 1991.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks