Controlled deer hunting

jeweller

Having a argument with the daughter. She has applied for the November hunt and I have applied for the December hunt (90B). She's telling me she can come out with me in December to group hunt as long as she has a deer license and doesn't carry a gun. I've told her if she doesn't have a validation tag for that controlled hunt she not able to do it even without a gun. Who's right?

Having a arparticipate in any way.ith the daughter. She has applied for the November hunt and I have applied for the December hunt (90B). She's telling me she can come out with me in December to group hunt as long as she has a deer license and doesn't carry a gun. I've told her if she doesn't have a validation tag for that controlled hunt she not able to do it even without a gun. Who's right?
You are. Must have a validation tag for hunt in order to participate in any way.

Check out this years OOD hunting anual. Shows where most of the MNR fines came from last year, hunting in a controlled hunt with out a validation tag was one of the #1 charges.

She is 100% wrong and you are 100% right.

The only way she can go out is right beside you without a gun and she better not be caught dogging or with a gun as that is considered hunting.

The MNR will be out in full force again for the controled deer hunts...I know there is alot of rules to comply with...you guys that don't go by the rules don't get caught or expect a pricey fine!!

Just a reminder for a few rules they really will get ya for

Please wear your orange vest..its the law and it is a good safety rule

tag your deer exactly at the kill site

Make sure you have your firearm encased right up to 1/2 hour before sunrise and especially a 1/2 hour after sunset

Zero tolerance for tresspassing

I got a $350 dollar fine several years ago for not taggin my deer at the kill site...the truth is I shot a nice deer on a cut bean field late afternoon ...I had forgot my tag back in my truck...omg..so I gutted the deer and dragged it by the antlers approx. 60 yards off the field to the edge..(reason I didn't want my deer taken by tresspassers that frequent the area and sneak in and hunt it)...so I left the deer and got back to my truck at the road on Catfish creek and put my rifle incased...Well guess you drives up...yep the game warden...so I told him my story..he calls his superior and we waited for him..so we all go back in 3+ fields with flashlights...There holdin the flashlights and watch me tag my deer around the antlers and said notch out the date...anyway we dragged the deer out and put it in the MNR truck.. They reviewed my hunting & firearm licences and my rifle..so after that they had a private discussion.. the field warden come back and said to me you get your deer and a fine. He also said if you want to get the fine possibly reduced.. go to the rural court...anyway I got my deer home and hung it in the garage..after all that I went in the house and had a few shots of Whiskey...

So the very next day I went to the court out on number 4 south of St. Thomas and showed the duty counsel guy my fine...I knew the guy back from high school...anyway he said the fine was outrageous....Anyway I got up there and told my story to the judge...he was not really impressed either...so I pleaded guilty under the fish and game act..and it was a clause renewed..the judge gave me a $50 fine + $10 court cost for a total of $60 bucks...I asked and received 2 months to pay...so don`t break the rules, its not worth the bull$hit

I have a lot..a LOT of respect for our C.O's...they have a huge responsibility with very very little manpower. A friend was a C.O, and I wrote a couple of letters to his managers singing his praise--he was outstanding in every way.

Saying that, I wish they would concentrate on the real offenders vs the little stuff that can accidentally occur with hunters that are doing their very best to follow the letter of the law. Go after the poachers and the drive-by hunters and the trespassers. Our bush gets trampled by poaching and trespassing, yet a call to the authorities gets zero. Even a small grow operation with 30 plants resulted in..nothing.
Here are 2 true examples of getting very picky and wasting our conservation $$$...

One of the co- owners of our hunt property SM was in the controlled hunt in Dec a few years back. Its a sugar bush with lanes through out that we drive the tractor on to get at the buckets. He was way back in the bush with his little Ford Ranger planting a bucket of black walnuts in the middle of the day. It was raining, so he had his muzzle loader in the front seat of the truck to keep it dry. It had a load in it, but no cap on the nipple. It was uncased. He was 100 yards from the truck heeling in the walnuts. A C.O had entered the property, followed the lane way into the bush, found the truck. He checked to see if it had a charge in it, was aware it had no cap on. He saw SM, approached him, confirmed it was his truck and gun, charged him with hunting out of a motor vehicle. Remember, this truck was in the middle of a 100 acre bush at least 1/4 mile away from any traveled roadway. SM challenged it in court, got the support from the judge, however because of the wording of the law would have found him guilty, so SM pleaded no contest, got a minuscule fine and no record.

An elderly gentleman was hunting a friends farm during the shotgun hunt. He was partially disabled, so friends had made him a nice ground blind on a field edge by a bush. He was sitting in the blind in a chair they had supplied, and was having some difficulty moving around because of his clothes, vest, etc, so he took off his heavy orange vest, and draped it across the back of his chair....in a blind...so it was still visible. A few moments later, a C.O drove ACROSS the wheat field behind the gentleman and confronted him about not wearing hunter orange...he had been watching him with binoculars. The hunter got ticketed for not wearing the vest.

So, like Mick said, know the rules ...knowledge is your best defense.

Hey Dave thanks for sharing your stories...hopefully it will help a few hunters from getting fines...I know one thing if you do get fined it ruins the entire experience of your deer huntin week...

Mick you were hunting deer near catfish creek with a "RIFLE" and only got a fine for where you tagged the deer?
Sounds like a good story to me!!!

If I was hunting with my muzzle loader I'd say that, wouldn't you? When I hunt with my rifles I'd say a rifle, as well when I hunt with my bow I say bow and when I hunt with my crossbow I say crossbow.
He's got a been there done that story for every single post and I called him on it.

I truly doubt he ment that but u could be rite. Cheers

thanks can't miss for clarity...420 is exhausting...and nitpicking

the controling deer hunting in 92 A, B, C, D.....is rifles and shotguns... muzzleloading only

My hunting rifle is a 50 calibre shooting a 45 calibre saboted bullet

My rifle has 1 in 28 rifling (twist) that puts the spin on the bullet and increases velocity

Most hunters I know hunt with rifles...I know a couple that use a double barrel 10 guage shotgun...for example one barrel has buck shot and the other barrel has round ball and patch

you are getting a muzzleloading rifle confused with a centre fire rifle...

now you know

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks