Commercial Perch Catches?

quackers

I've been wondering for a couple of years why the commercial guys are out so early in the season? The fish this time of year are full of spawn and milt and don't have near the flesh that they do in June and July. I assume their quota's are in pounds of fish caught and I'd think they'd have a lot less yield of marketable fillets per pound of live weight now than from post spawn fish that have put some meat back on.
Anybody know more about the business?

Well that right there has got to be the most thought provoking and insightful reply I've read on this board in a while! Lol(y);)

He's a man of few words, each one carries great weight.

Found on Wiki under
Ontario's Commercial Fisheries Policies

However, many Great Lakes fishes are considered “unlimited quota” species and do not have an allocated commercial catch limit – for example, white bass (Morone chrysops) and longnose gar (Lepisosteus osseus). MNR does not monitor these species as closely as quota-managed species.

Found on Wiki under
Ontario's Commercial Fisheries Policies

However, many Great Lakes fishes are considered “unlimited quota” species and do not have an allocated commercial catch limit – for example, white bass (Morone chrysops) and longnose gar (Lepisosteus osseus). MNR does not monitor these species as closely as quota-managed species.
white perch nothing at pt bruce yet

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks