Circle of life stew

Crummybun

From laying hens to soup/stew/broth. The old gals fed us many meals and will feed us a few more yet. We usually retire them to a friend's farm, these ones weren't so fortunate.

The wife and I cleaned 4 of them in under 2 hours. Seemed ok for a couple of city folk that had only watched some YouTube videos. Our only other experience had been cleaning fish, which we are considerably quicker at doing.

The replacements arrived last week. Hopefully my neighbor hooks me up with some of his fresh eggs when possible.

Attachments

• 20240405_125517.jpg
    20240405_125517.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240404_164408.jpg
    20240404_164408.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Wow, there’s some memories from growing up on the farm. Past their laying stage hens where cleaned and into the pressure cooker for a few hours to loosen the meat from the bones. Added onions for a bit of flavour. Chicken soup every week.

This will make a few meals for sure. I just had a cup of broth after being out in the cold most of the day. Wow, did that ever hit the spot.

From laying hens to soup/stew/broth. The old gals fed us many meals and will feed us a few more yet. We usually retire them to a friend's farm, these ones weren't so fortunate.

The wife and I cleaned 4 of them in under 2 hours. Seemed ok for a couple of city folk that had only watched some YouTube videos. Our only other experience had been cleaning fish, which we are considerably quicker at doing.

The replacements arrived last week. Hopefully my neighbor hooks me up with some of his fresh eggs when possible.
Nice job with the chickens, there is nothing better than doing it yourself from start to finish.

Nice job with the chickens, there is nothing better than doing it yourself from start to finish.
We're getting closer to the start and the finish. First year harvesting our hens, first year brooding our own chicks. We have always bought our hens ready to lay.

If anyone needs a rooster or two I may be able to hook you up in the next month or so. Mostly pure bred heritage.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks