Cheater line

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Does anyone know how to rig a cheater line, (10 - 20 foot line with a lure on it that slides down a downrigging rod), without it tangling?
I tried it yesterday and ended up with two fish on, one un holy tangle and more frustration than it was worth.

Run your cheaters at about 5 foot in length. With 2 fish on your likely to tangle no matter what. 20 foot of line is way too much. 5 foot is plenty, and keeps it somewhat manageable.

I use a # 4 snap swivel so it will slide down past the swivel that holds the main spoon rigth on to the main spoon
This way you don't damage the knot
And don't have tangles
4-5 feet max leader length
Also longer leader length makes netting fish difficult
The swivel that holds the main spoon is a #2
I like the welded ring type snaps

@HTHM there's a way to it without hassle. It's called a Chamberlain Stacker release
This is the same release I use at the cannonball except it's stackable. If you haven't seen the other threads where I recommend this release, it has individual tension sets for the rod AND the bite side. So you can set the rod to take 20lbs to release, and 0.5lbs on the bite side. I had it dialed in nicely last time out and small perch were setting off the release. Great product.

hey @sterlingz.. a cheater line is a slider...not a stacker....2 baits one rod...tickers got it..and that short line slides down your main line and hangs up around half way down the bow on the main line ...can be very effective...

a stacker is 2 rods 2 baits off one rigger...thats what we learned growing up as guppys...

hey @sterlingz.. a cheater line is a slider...not a stacker....2 baits one rod...tickers got it..and that short line slides down your main line and hangs up around half way down the bow on the main line ...can be very effective...

a stacker is 2 rods 2 baits off one rigger...thats what we learned growing up as guppys...

Right, thanks for the correction @mick!

I used a 4 footer once earlier this season.

Like you, that once didn't go well and I just cut the section of tangle off and put the noodle of pre tied leaders away until 2018.

I run with only 3' of fluoro leader for my cheater and use the smaller 2.25" trolling spoons (on a swivel). Chicken Wing Michigan Stinger produces lots of mid size bows and pics. I find the 3' leader works well but much easier to manage.

Might help to loosen the main line a bit as well. I like useing them and rarely get tangled, 5 foot or less in length.

Just a little tip if you want your slider, Cheater, 5' or whatever you prefer above your main line release. Half hitch an elastic to your cable and the big loop to the snap that's around your line.
Want a laugh, get a double on the same rod, Rainbow on the cheater and Salmon on the main.

Last edited:
Just a little tip if you want your slider, Cheater, 5' or whatever you prefer above your main line release. Half hitch an elastic to your cable and the big loop to the snap that's around your line.
Want a laugh, get a double on the same rod, Rainbow on the cheater and Salmon on the main.

Yeah, I'm going to need a video or something to understand this!

That is exactly what happened to me, I had a nice pic, and a small perch on the line. What a &^%*(*&%(%*%&( mess that was.

I think if you google Ashley Madison :bag: there may be a few hints on the topic

Thanks for that. Found some great tit- ahem TIPS there.

That is exactly what happened to me, I had a nice pic, and a small perch on the line. What a &^%*(*&%(%*%&( mess that was.

This is a result of the cheater sliding down to your main lure right? There's got to be a way to rig a fixed cheater as to not slide down? The downside, obviously is that if you get a bite on the lower line, you need to remove the rig as you come up, but I think that's a fine compromise.

having the 2 fish on the one line caused line twist and wrapped around...not a big deal... use or make another slider.. strip and cut off the tangle and retie your snap...5 minutes downtime...

there is spiny fleas out there and that can make sliders hang up and might cause a tangle...

@sterlingz the cheater/slider has to slide down the main line all the way to the other bait once fired off the downrigger release attached to the cannonball...

if your running spoons on the main line you should be using a ball bearing snap to prevent line twist...thats a must...

I have pretied sliders in small zip lock bags all ready to slide...I use mono, fluro and braid with regular snap swivels and they all work

an old favourite is putting a slider right under the prop wash off the kicker...I use sliders mostly for up high erie rainbows early season cold water

having the 2 fish on the one line caused line twist and wrapped around...not a big deal... use or make another slider.. strip and cut off the tangle and retie your snap...5 minutes downtime...

there is spiny fleas out there and that can make sliders hang up and might cause a tangle...

@sterlingz the cheater/slider has to slide down the main line all the way to the other bait once fired off the downrigger release attached to the cannonball...

if your running spoons on the main line you should be using a ball bearing snap to prevent line twist...thats a must...

I have pretied sliders in small zip lock bags all ready to slide...I use mono, fluro and braid with regular snap swivels and they all work

an old favourite is putting a slider right under the prop wash off the kicker...I use sliders mostly for up high erie rainbows early season cold water

Good tip on the pre-tied sliders. I also read that you should use clips that have few edges and spots to get tangled with, so that once you cut/remove them they just come off.

Side note, I've ordered some Roemer Liberators which apparently can be set as to not slide down. So technically you could run a cheater at say, 15ft FoW even with your main line at 60ft. One guy claimed he runs 3 cheaters PER LINE when the bite is slow.

Hard to believe this will be a trouble-free setup but I'll let you guys know how it goes...

upload_2017-9-12_9-26-34.jpeg
this side view diagram is not the greatest ..but its close..the main line needs to display a bow in the line caused by blow back ..trolling forward...
I let my single slider move freely...not fixed....ya some of us running sliders don't keep a tight main line cocked down to the release..letting more main line out giving you more bow and blow back...making your slider bait go down and out... dropping or raising your cannon ball can find that sweet spot depth for your slider...many variables to experiment with to get um firing..

logo.png
..absoulutely

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks