Charging a 24 volt system

GMAC

I have a 24 volt motor guide trolling motor. When I go to charge the two 12 v batteries do I need to disconnect everything as I’ve been doing (pain in the ass for my old body to get down to them) or can I charge them connected together? I have just an old “stupid” charger, not a fancy smart charger.
If I have to get down and take everything apart I can, but thought I would ask if there was an easier way than what I’ve been doing.
Thanks.

I have a 4 bank minnkota precision charger for 4 batteries, 2 of them are a part of 24v system, each battery is individually connected to a charging bank. I just plug it in the extension cord and all 4 are charged

You don't have to disconnect anything. It's an incomplete circuit (assuming your motor is not running) so having the wires connected or not really doesn't matter.

Like Centerspin my boat came with a 4 bank Minnkota charger and a 36 volt electric. Very convenient and I just plug it in and it's good to go the next day. I had a 24V system like yours on my last boat and understand what you are going through. Like yourself, I disconnected everything and charged the batteries one at a time and had to connect before using the boat again. That said, I guess it was a smart charger because it turned off by itself. The issue with a 4 bank is that it's pretty expensive and mine has recently turned into a 3 bank. I now have to charge battery number two the old way. I'll see what it costs to replace the 4 bank over winter. There seems to be no way to enjoy fishing with a boat on a lean budget, especially with the cost of gasoline these days.

I bought one of these @GMAC a few years back for my MotorGuide Xi3 24 volt system. It charges both batteries at the same time and is mounted in my battery compartment. I just plug it in after every use and it does everything don't have to touch it. It stays plugged in all the time even through the winter with my batteries in the boat with no fear of overcharging or under charging. Very reasonable for peace of mind.

Last edited:
I have 4 batteries and have installed quick connect leads on all 4 batteries. The two bank 20 amp charger has quick connects on it as well. When I get home I just connect the quick connects to the two batteries and away it goes. No undoing nothing. Charger stays at home.

Just hook your charger to 1 battery at a time the same way you would a single battery and your old charger will work perfectly fine.

Been running my noco genius multi bank marine charger for about 4-5 yrs now and I love that thing. Also not as harsh on the pocket book as some other brands.

Been running my noco genius multi bank marine charger for about 4-5 yrs now and I love that thing. Also not as harsh on the pocket book as some other brands.
I have a virtually brand new Noco genius 30amp 3 bank for sale if anyone is interested. Installed in the spring and used a handful of times on my cruiser. Turns out I need something bigger to keep up with the drain of the fridge and bilge when away. Make a fair offer and it’s yours. Pick up in Guelph or Port Dover

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks