Charcoal or alternatives?

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
Have sampled some charcoal-grilled food recently and have enjoyed it. Any opinions of Green Egg versus wood pellet versus others? Want to do some smoking from time-to-time and grill with the charcoal taste.

Have sampled some charcoal-grilled food recently and have enjoyed it. Any opinions of Green Egg versus wood pellet versus others? Want to do some smoking from time-to-time and grill with the charcoal taste.
I started with a green egg, very very delicious
High maintenance to maintain proper temperatures
I have a propane smoker now but am on market for a new one as it’s in rough shape

X2 on @Derkd9 's comments on the green egg. Made for delicious food, but way to much work to make sure it was on temp. When it finally rusted out I did some comparative reviews and ended up with Masterbilt electric (https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers. - I got the 30 inch digital model - because it has a cold smoker attachment, its cheaper than Bradley, and doesn't require the special puck the Bradley does. I am kinda fond of the Jack Daniels barrel chips :) The digital controls ensure a steady slow cook at your desired temp. My cold smoked salmon has now been perfected and is awesome. Makes perfect smoked ribs , meat you name it. Even comes with a remote. Its small and easy to put away in the off season

I have both a big green egg and a yoder ys640 pellet grill. Both are awesome. I enjoy the egg more but as has been stated, it can be a bit more work. The pellet grill is set it and forget it. My complaint on the pellet grill is that 50% of the time I have to take it apart to get it to light. Shouldn’t need to strip it down every time compared to my friends Traeger.
Both do a fantastic job. The BGE does a great job for hotter cooks too like searing a steak or doing pizza. The pellet grill takes a lot of the maintenance out of the cook. So if you like to watch closely and monitor (which you can do electronically) I’d go BGE. If you want to dump in pellets and sit back while the cooker does the work I’d go pellet grill.

Nothing beats the taste of Charcoal cooked food.

Have a Napoleon gas grill with all the goodies, 22.5 WSM, and a Weber Kettle. I deliberately use the Weber over the Napoleon on some cooks just because of the flavour it imparts to what is being grilled.

Yes @hvyhaul , it's using a damn Weber Kettle that has created this predicament. Food tastes so good with a charcoal cook!

I picked up a pitboss tailgate edition pellet smoker on clearance at North Walmart back in the late winter/early spring on clearance for $300. It works great and the legs fold up easy for me to transfer from the trailer to home. Love it so much i might just buy a larger one for at home... Even something simple as hamburger done on the propane vs smoker are night and day difference

Yes @hvyhaul , it's using a damn Weber Kettle that has created this predicament. Food tastes so good with a charcoal cook!
When the family moved to where The Wife and I still are, I couldn't get the gas hookup for at least a week.

Ran to CTC and grabbed a cheapie Charcoal BBQ.

That was it, Charcoal has to be an option, and I don't mean briquettes, lump hardwood only.

A 22" Weber kettle is a good economical option to get started into the charcoal world. I bought mine 10 years ago and have never regretted it. Lots of different accessories that can be bought for them now such as pizza ovens, different cast grates or woks. I do everything from smoked ribs and salmon to "fried" chicken on mine. The only difference I find is the ability of the pellet grills to be able to set it at a temperature and walk away.

A 22" Weber kettle is a good economical option to get started into the charcoal world. I bought mine 10 years ago and have never regretted it. Lots of different accessories that can be bought for them now such as pizza ovens, different cast grates or woks. I do everything from smoked ribs and salmon to "fried" chicken on mine. The only difference I find is the ability of the pellet grills to be able to set it at a temperature and walk away.
Have a Pitboss 1150, I love it….. big hopper for pellets and easy to change the flavour. Set it and forget it works for me… 👍

x2 on 22" weber kettle, very versatile and doesn't break the bank. There is something about real charcoal you can't replace with a pellet grill. I've had mine for about 4 years now and thoroughly enjoy it. Also do some research on the accessories you can add/modify your kettle grill with, it is almost endless and makes it a lot of fun to experiment with.

Get a cheap charcoal and see if it’s your thing. Weber 30 inch would be what I’d look at, parts in stock at Home Depot I’d you need anything.

Attachments

• B48F881A-6EF1-4BA0-A4C9-6706341F2D3D.png
    B48F881A-6EF1-4BA0-A4C9-6706341F2D3D.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • E863AC9F-876B-4546-8E6D-987F56C34824.png
    E863AC9F-876B-4546-8E6D-987F56C34824.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • C14C0A95-4BD7-4D51-B858-55B69C1A18E2.jpeg
    C14C0A95-4BD7-4D51-B858-55B69C1A18E2.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 9
Go for the Weber 22, learn the snake method and go low and slow, bought one about 15 years ago, still have a gas grill for dogs and burgers during the week, but weekends are charcoal. Join the Weber Kettle group on Facebook, tons of advice and cook methods.
Regards
Ken J

There are many more kamado options out there than just BGE. For just getting into it you can get an Akorn for usually under 500 all in on clearance. Costco carries the Louisisana Grills LG24 which I have and I would put it up against Kamado Joe or BGE in terms of food quality, but at 1/3 the cost. I can set the vents at 6am and leave for the day and come back 12 hours later with a finished brisket or pork butt there is no maintenance, and I do not have a controller. If you wanted to add truly hands off functionality you can always add a Flameboss or similar controller for long overnight cooks if that is your thing. I have a Napoleon Kettle as well that gets used 2-3 times/week, my LG gets used a couple times a week and runs all weekend, and I might cook some baked potatoes on my Napoleon gasser if I have to. A steak has not touched natural gas in this household in the last 3 years since I got my kamado. Charcoal wins hands down. I'm on a good forum Kamado Guru you can check out and see all the options you have.

many great suggestions, I ventured down the rabbit hole of UDS (Ugly Drum Smokers) and absolutely love the flavour of food cooked overtop of charcoal. There are so many options now, Pit Barrel, Gateway, Barrel Boss Q, Hunsaker, skies the limit!

X2 on @Derkd9 's comments on the green egg. Made for delicious food, but way to much work to make sure it was on temp. When it finally rusted out I did some comparative reviews and ended up with Masterbilt electric (https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers. - I got the 30 inch digital model - because it has a cold smoker attachment, its cheaper than Bradley, and doesn't require the special puck the Bradley does. I am kinda fond of the Jack Daniels barrel chips :) The digital controls ensure a steady slow cook at your desired temp. My cold smoked salmon has now been perfected and is awesome. Makes perfect smoked ribs , meat you name it. Even comes with a remote. Its small and easy to put away in the off season
What do you mean by "rusted out"?

I run a Big Green Egg and a Green Mountain Grill. One ceramic charcoal, the other a pellet cooking machine.

I prefer the Egg. Both are great, a man should be happy with either. The GMG has a larger cooking area, computerized controls, programmable, built in temp gauges creating an idiot proof cook. But it makes noise and I swear the Egg gives better taste.
You cannot go wrong with either, but I would say a charcoal ceramic over a pellet system.
I didn't even get into high temp cooking, which is the Egg as a clear winner.

I see my name listed as responding to this thread , didn’t , ipad and my pointy finger did. Anyway I got thinking about my old Weber kettle grill ( little use ) and hauled it out yesterday . Gas is just so much easier . Had a bag of aged brickets and managed to get things heated up . Put a whole chicken on and I have to say I had forgotten what real bbq flavour tastes like . Super moist , great Smokey flavour . I am definitely going to get back into the charcoal game !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks