Channel Access in Turkey Point

trky chsr

I'm dreaming of some warmer days to break out the kayak. I would like to try and fish for crappie in the channels at Turkey Point but the question is are they private or public? They're open to the lake but I honestly don't know. I believe this was answered some time ago but I don't remember the answer. I will say I posed a similar question on "Ask a CO" on the OOD forum concerning rivers and the answer was if the bottom was deeded to a property owner than no but if not then yes you can boat/canoe the river. TC

I fished those channels for 20 years as my folks had a trailer there. I stopped going about 10 years ago as it became fashionable to yell at the bass boat for fishing near the boats. After quite a few yelling matches and stressful situations, I realized it sure wasn't helping my mental state and went in search of friendlier waters. Was decent fishing in there with tons of 3 lbers and the odd pig as well.

So you don't mean the channels in the Turkey Point Hunt Club property ? Much like the Long Point Company their property boundary lines extend out and under the water. It's a much further paddle and a little known fact but the Thoroughfare Tract of the CWS is actually open to fishing during certain months of the year. If all else fails there is the Crown Marsh aka The Unit, lots of channels and some with deep holes in them.

A navitable water way is crown land as i was told my the mnrf for my hu ti g waterfowl i asked about my creek because the comservation owns it and texnically they only own the property no one own the water hence the crown land i have read even further into this and it appers that to the high water mark of the bank is also considered crown land the npca witch is the conservation told me im not allowed to stand on the bank or hu t standi g on the creek bed i have to be floating the mnrf totally set me stright they dont own the creek bed either also crown land i can leggaly walk down the bank thats showing right now (because of the low water level) tgdu neighbours property and they cant tell me to get off i wont out of respect but i can hu t with wadders standi g on the creek bed. Im sick of people claiming ownership to so.ething free to use and then harrasing you about usi g it

A navitable water way is crown land as i was told my the mnrf for my hu ti g waterfowl i asked about my creek because the comservation owns it and texnically they only own the property no one own the water hence the crown land i have read even further into this and it appers that to the high water mark of the bank is also considered crown land the npca witch is the conservation told me im not allowed to stand on the bank or hu t standi g on the creek bed i have to be floating the mnrf totally set me stright they dont own the creek bed either also crown land i can leggaly walk down the bank thats showing right now (because of the low water level) tgdu neighbours property and they cant tell me to get off i wont out of respect but i can hu t with wadders standi g on the creek bed. Im sick of people claiming ownership to so.ething free to use and then harrasing you about usi g it
To my knowledge i have found The American law says high water mark is public land. In Canada any soil out of water is owned... if you walk on shore you are on someone's property even if you are below the water mark. As for deeded property you only have rights if you have a dock or a boat... everyone can float anywhere but you can't touch docks or boats as the owner owns that Property.

I did hear from mnrf and thefe was a adticle about the high water in ood mag but as far as the water and the river bed are public for sure

So you don't mean the channels in the Turkey Point Hunt Club property ? Much like the Long Point Company their property boundary lines extend out and under the water. It's a much further paddle and a little known fact but the Thoroughfare Tract of the CWS is actually open to fishing during certain months of the year. If all else fails there is the Crown Marsh aka The Unit, lots of channels and some with deep holes in them.
Sorry I should have been a little clearer. I mean going in by the restaurant and fishing the docks in the channels by the cottages. TC

Where do you find the regulations (months you can fish) on the Throughfare Tract?

I can't remember exactly where but most likely on the CWS website and it only mentions the Thoroughfare Tract nothing about the other larger tract further down the Point or the Big Creek Tract. Also keep in mind that it is within the boundaries of the fish sanctuary so maybe just July and August ?

From what I understand, the channel is part of the sanctuary come May 15. After bass opener, the marina is so busy its not worth the headache - boaters or cottagers just yell at you to stay away. Prior to the 15th, you're probably fine.

I'm dreaming of some warmer days to break out the kayak. I would like to try and fish for crappie in the channels at Turkey Point but the question is are they private or public? They're open to the lake but I honestly don't know. I believe this was answered some time ago but I don't remember the answer. I will say I posed a similar question on "Ask a CO" on the OOD forum concerning rivers and the answer was if the bottom was deeded to a property owner than no but if not then yes you can boat/canoe the river. TC
Have a look at the Norfolk County GIS webtool and click on the marina, it will tell you all you need to know about ownership (that it is privately owned and not a common access "navigable" waterbody.) Or call and ask the marina, I'm sure for the cost of a launch fee you can go and fish if you wanted to during the off-season.

I can't remember exactly where but most likely on the CWS website and it only mentions the Thoroughfare Tract nothing about the other larger tract further down the Point or the Big Creek Tract. Also keep in mind that it is within the boundaries of the fish sanctuary so maybe just July and August ?
Any special regulations for the Crown Marsh or is it just under the normal fishing regulations

I would assume all normal fishing reg's apply to the Crown marsh or the CWS Thoroughfare Tract but a phone call to the MNR office in Aylmer would give you a positive answer. Like I said the CWS Thoroughfare Tract lies within the boundary lines of the Fish Sanctuary so it may be off limits also.

Where do you find the regulations (months you can fish) on the Throughfare Tract?
Hi there Speedy Turtle !

I have gone looking through the web for info regarding access to the CWS Thoroughfare Tract and cannot find the article that I spoke of that stated fishing was allowed so I would highly advise checking with CWS office or pay strict attention to any signs that may be posted. There was mention of "Day use only" of the beach on the lakeside but stay off the dunes !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks