Changing Braid?

Trevor M

I made the switch from mono to braid on 2 of my 3 fishing rods 2 years ago. (I left the mono on the one because my son doesn't like braided line, says it's too thin for him to see lol)

How often should I change the braid line? With mono I used to change the line almost religiously every year depending on how often the rod would get used, but I was told with braid, if it's not frayed, there is no need to change it every year, so since it hasn't been frayed, I haven't changed it since I put it on those 2 reels. So when should I consider changing it? Remember, most of my fishing is done from the pier in Pt Bruce and although I'm used to the braid now, (took a while) I still consider myself to be learning about the complexities of braided line. Thanks in advance.

I have yellow, red, green and white coloured braid.

First year I reversed the lines on a couple different rods, but I'm not going to worry about it for a few years again now.

I strip some off periodically throughout the season so I think that should be enough for the time being.

I never get anywhere near the backing, but if/once I do, new line.

If ypu icefish and it frays front age you ll see air bubbles when you put the line down at first. Thats when I change mine.

Last edited:
I have yet to change any braid since spooling it.
Only sees trimming when leaders are replaced.
I’m sure some day it may deteriorate but to be honest I have only broken lead and leaders as the pp always returns as it’s tough as all get out.

I have only broken lead and leaders
Yeah it's pretty strong stuff. I've pulled a huge part of a tree out sitting on the pier, part of a bbq, and on those rare occasions when I have got caught up, (I generally know where the snags are by the pier in Pt Bruce, although there always seems to be a new one every year) when it does break me off, (or a big sheephead of catfish does) it's never at my knot, the pickerel rig breaks first.

I switch mono lines annually and braid if frayed. I've never changed the line on reels spooled with Power Pro which seems to last forever. That said, I have not tried all the popular brands of braid to compare them so I can only say that PP is pretty good.

After the braid gets discoloured and shabby looking I whind the line on to another reel so all the good line at the back that never sees the water and still like brand new is now at the front. Usually good for another 2 years before replacing it all. 👍

I switch mono lines annually and braid if frayed. I've never changed the line on reels spooled with Power Pro which seems to last forever. That said, I have not tried all the popular brands of braid to compare them so I can only say that PP is pretty good.
Couldn't agree with you more Arnie! Only difference I do is change/ re-spool my P.P. once every 3-yrs. Happy New Year and stay safe everyone.

After the braid gets discoloured and shabby looking I whind the line on to another reel so all the good line at the back that never sees the water and still like brand new is now at the front. Usually good for another 2 years before replacing it all. 👍
I'm not so sure the boss lady will let my buy another reel just for that. :ROFLMAO:

Agree with Arnie about Power Pro that it seems to last forever, great line. The 80 lb. bulk spools I take for friends in Cuba is expensive for me but absolutely like gold to them. When I pull them along with packages of O11 Mustard Hoodlum 5X strong saltwater hooks from the suitcase they all look like joyful kids on Christmas morning. 😅

All of the super braid lines are gel spun polyethylene. It does not break down with exposure to UV light or ozone the way nylon mono does. It does accumulate some wear due to friction. However this is quite visible in the form of frayed and fussy line. Even quite frayed stuff will retain 80-90% of the strength but looks and feels bad. On rods I use for casting I just trim 10-20 feet off the tip as it starts to wear. For trolling lines reversing it on the reel is a good idea to double the lifespan. I have some bass rods spooled with Berkley 15lb Nanofil (spinning) and 40lb Spiderwire Stealth (baitcasters) which must have 10 years fishing on them and I see no reason to change them up this year.

Never replaced Power Pro line. No need to. Never had PP line broken. Usually breaks happen at the leader. Must have lines that are over 10 years old. Color changes but that is not an issue. Mind you it is not like I don't put them through good test with the Lake O. Kings.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Nust spool it from one reel to another. The braid on the last have of the spool has no mot been toughed hardly

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks