Change in Attitudes

I always have my radio on and ask for a radio check to make sure all is working well in case I get into trouble or whatever. It's peace of mind out in the big Lake. Iam almost 56 and consider myself oldschool also.

VHF radio signal is line of sight so the higher the aerial the farther you can reach. A hand held only has 5 watts of power as compared to a full size radio with 25 watts. The hand held will struggle to reach more than a couple miles.

I just bought a cobra. Hand held from anglin in woodstock they claim it.ll reach 3 miles not sure tho only had it out once so far

I have a set of handhelds and lucky to get 2 miles. I have the main vhf on 16 and usually the handhelds on 68 when out on Erie. In my opinion, if you own a boat don’t cheap out of the vhf, it can save your life or someone else's.
Out on Erie, I’m use to guys talking and sharing information. I remember a couple years back a guy was asking for some tips. I told him what had been working for us and about 15 minutes later he radios for me to say thanks as they put 5 fish in the box in those 15 minutes. It’s a big lake, doesn’t hurt to share unless it’s a derby then you’re on your own...lmao

I also have my radio on all of the time . I have it set on a 3 channel scan for 16, 68 and weather . I also have the DSC hooked to my chart plotter . You can also call other boats with a mmsi number . If the distress button is pressed it will sent you gps location to other boats in the area with operating DSC radios. If I remember right you should be scanning channel 16 every 1/2 hour for distress calls .

I have mine on when ever I am on Erie or Ontario. I run a Lowrance VHF and have it tied into my graph. The thing I use the most which is more of a safety thing for me is AIS which notifies me of larger vessels in my area and how close, their direction and their speed. Comes in handy especially in shipping area's where the big girls can sneak up on you!!!

There is to many positive reasons to have a VHF radio on board.
First of all the ability to send and receive distress calls to vessels in your immediate location, weather and navigation hazards are broadcast repeatedly, etc. etc.
All the positive reasons have been previously stated , if I am passing by a boat in distress 1/2 mile away unless you light a flare (those old ones under the seat your Grampa bought in 1986 that probably won't burn )
I'll have no idea you need assistance you can try and send me a text but you don't have my number. I could be at your side before you Google what to do in a marine emergency.
Of course you'll be okay, you have that little plastic telescoping paddle that met the minimum requirements.
GET A RADIO, EDUCATE YOURSELF ON IT'S USE, USE IT RESPONSIBLY!

Radio is on 16 when I'm out. I will switch to 68 once in a while but I'm more of a listener than a talker. When I worked on the Lake we helped out on a few maydays on 16. That and coast gaurd reports is why it's on. I'd be more than willing to share but everyone else on the radio is catching more fish in less time than me.

My two cents. I got only a hand held but it is on 16 and 68 at all times. A couple of years ago the boys and I were out off Burwell and we heard that the dark clouds down by Port Stanley were kicking up some nasty weather. We were fine but neither Super Trooper or I liked the sound of what was coming our way. We had 6 in the boat already but we pulled up the gear and headed in......good thing too. When that weather hit Burwell it came down like a fire hose with the wind just ahead of the rain. I am so glad we were listening to 16 and 68 just in case. One thing I did notice is that we were just the middle of the pack heading in. Everybody had decided it was time to get out of Dodge. When that front came through...you could feel the temperature drop 15 degrees and all the fishermen and marina staff were helping each other load and clear the ramps to get the next boats in. That is the day I realized I had found a new home to go fishing.
From motor failures to weather changes to health emergencies....it sure is nice the know there are others around when crap hits the fan.

For the guys that use handhelds

Try to keep it away from gps / fishfinder
For what ever reason ...the gps / fishfinder can cause interference with the vhf

I was out with a buddy who had a handheld cobra in drink holder beside fishfinder and it wouldn't work.
I turned my uniden on and had full service
As soon as he moved his to other side of boat and it worked instantly

:):)Radio on Ch. 16 To make contact. then switch to channel you both agree on. When you know the Coast Guard is always there, it's very comforting. ….Just my 2 cents. My radio is always on...
:):)

I've not heard of a handheld that will compete with a mounted unit.
OK maybe some very unusual examples.
Handhelds basically have far shorter antennas, antenna is far closer to the surface and far lower transmit power available.
Yes results will suffer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks